Godaddy domain renewal fees

Complainer

I renewed my domain with Godaddy over the weekend, and the charges came to just under $20 as follows;
QTY ITEM PRICE
1 .COM Domain Name Renewal - 1
Year $9.78
SERIALCOMPLAINER.COM

1 Private Registration Services
- Renewal
Length: 1.0000 Year(s) $8.99
SERIALCOMPLAINER.COM

Total: $18.77
However, I got a further email today where it seems that they are charging me a further $5 as follows;

Product Name Unit Price Qty Total Price
Business Registration Renewal $ 4.99 1 $ 4.99
Billing for 09/08/2008. SERIALCOMPLAINER.COM

Any idea what is meant by 'business registration renewal'?

Nope afraid not-however I found godaddy's customer service mind meltingly bad, just in case you think about questioning it with them. Worse than NTL - if that's possible.

Killter

Any idea what is meant by 'business registration renewal'?

Business Registration
Business Registration turns your Whois search results page into a business Web advertisement, complete with company logo, custom images, and business links. The resulting online business card can double as a one-page Web site.

(from GoDaddy Help Center)

and Kilter - I have always found their support above average.

THanks a lot, EuroDilbert. That is very helpful. Just for the record, I did a Godaddy help search for 'business registration renewal' but the results didn't seem too relevant.

I've submitted a support issue stating that I've never ordered this service and looking for a refund. Perhaps I missed some sneaky opt-out option for this business registration?

Has anyone else found GoDaddy to have added on this service where it wasn't ordered?

Though I generally find GoDaddy very good, one area you need to be very careful is when paying for a new service e.g. a domain. You have to work your way through a 'minefield' of - usually unwanted - extras before you reach the payment screen (a bit like booking an airline ticket these days ) and I suspect this is where you inadvertently 'opted-in' to this.

I guess that is the way they can keep their prices low - but I am used to it now, and haven't been caught - so far.

- eD.