Gmail Freezing

Lex Foutish

Anyone having problems with gmail, at present? For the last few weeks, mine hasn't worked very well. The page comes up but, when I click on an email, it often won't open. If it does, it will freeze or react 20 seconds or so later (e.g., scrolling up/down, etc.).

Sometimes, it gives me an option to use an older version. This has a lot of blue, as opposed to black, on the page and it works fine. However, I can't save this facility, i.e., when I turn on my computer the next time, the current, non-functioning version is there.

Can anyone advise me as to how I can solve this problem?

(I should add that when I access my account from a different computer, it works fine!). :confused:

The problem is with that machine then. How are other websites on the offending machine? Are they slow too? If yes you might benefit from cleaning up your machine (try CCleaner or Glary Utilities, they'll sort out your browser in the process).

If no maybe try a different browser (Opera is small and light, makes a good standby; Chrome is Google's own so a good fit with gmail)

Last edited:
Much as I like looking down my nose at Cork people ;) I do sympathise with your dilemma. You need to clean up your machine. It will get slower and, if like mine a few years back, eventually take as long as it takes to make a cup of Barry's before it boots up. So thank your lucky stars that you can still access your mail by HTML. :)

Thanks, guys. All other sites behaving perfectly on offending machine and full speed etc. And Capt., I'm actually having a cup of Barry's tea as I write! I can feel the moment turning gold. ;) And later tonight, it'll be Beamish time!!! :)

on the subject of g mail,i have used it for video chat on my desktop with a usb webcam.i also use skype for video calls.while skype is fine for calls i find i can only use audio chat on g mail as it doesnt recognise the webcam.has anyone come across this.ive tried the verify your settings,but no luck.

Back