Glossy paint under wallpaper - remove before painting?

Petal

Hi guys,

I've stripped tons of wallpaper of the hall-walls and what I've got underneath is glossy/shiny yellow paint that almost looks like varnish. It is in general quite hard, in some areas it chips off. It doesn't look like you could paint over it, but I'm not sure. Anyone knows what it is or whether I have to get it off and if yes, what's the best way?
Any experiences much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi Petal,

You'll probably have to rub back the glossy surface with sandpaper to key the surface so it will take the paint. Alternatively, use wet or dry sandpaper with white spirit.
Leo

Thanks a lot Leo, I'll give that a try. Thanks for your help (as always!)

Some decoraters would gloss a wall before papering. The idea is that the paper is quite easy to slide into position and should slip off fairly easily when stripping.

But as stated you need to roughen the surface again and fill any cracks or chipped areas

Many thanks guys, and yes the wallpaper comes off reasonably easily. I had a horror vision of having to remove this paint - I thought maybe it's some sort of ancient damp course or something, one never knows with these old council houses, but what you two have said makes perfect sense and it's such a relief that sanding is all that needs to be done!

Back