Global Financial Crisis - does it warrant jail time?

RMCF

Just thinking about the remarks made today by that Green Party TD about the 'scum' who got the world into so much trouble and brought the financial markets to their knees, and how instead of being baled out they should be getting 'banged up'.

Do we agree?

Personally I tend to agree with him. People out there were gambling on a scale we couldn't even imagine, and there was meant to be people monitoring what they were doing, yet it still was allowed to happen. Around the world there are a lot of very guilty people.

As far as I remember Nic Leeson served jail time for what he did, and that was 'only' around the £750,000,000 mark. So surely if we need a bailout of anywhere between $700billion - $1trillion then people should be suffering for it.

Thoughts?

Great idea. Let's see, ...where to start:

1. Everyone at senior managment level or above in a bank. The banks are the at the root of the current problem.

2. Everyone working for the Central Bank and the IFSRA. Obviously they weren't doing their job which should be to make sure the bank execs where doing theirs properly.

3. All politicians for not forcing the CB and IFSRA to do their job.

4. Everyone who bought property in the country in the last 6 year - pushing up the prices causing the bubble.

5. Everyone else who voted for the politicians who allowed the mess to happen.

6. Any Americans for promoting an "Anglo-Saxon" economic model.

7. All the EU bureacrats for not creating suitable regulations and imposing them on the Irish government.

That's for starters. What you reckon RMCF? Three years minimum for everyone in the list? Indeed "people" must be made suffer.

Fair enough.

So please explain the difference in what Nic Leeson did and why did he do time?

Just thinking about the remarks made today by that Green Party TD about the 'scum' who got the world into so much trouble and brought the financial markets to their knees, and how instead of being baled out they should be getting 'banged up'.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Matthew 7:3
http://bible.cc/matthew/7-3.htm

And when you're in charge make sure it's the little guy who pays. Nick Leeson couldn't have done what he did without the authority of those above him who let him gamble but when the horse fell, Nick didn't bolt fast enough.

And when you're in charge make sure it's the little guy who pays. Nick Leeson couldn't have done what he did without the authority of those above him who let him gamble but when the horse fell, Nick didn't bolt fast enough.

the whole point was that leeson didn't have the authority to do what he did...

General point accepted, but is there something in particular with reference to the Green Party that you are referring to here?

Er..., I would have thought that was obvious? The Green Party are in government with the party most associated with the Irish breed of the "scum" that Mr. Gogarty bemoans.

"An eye for an eye"

Exodus 21:23-27.

That's the trouble with quoting the Bible - you can always find a totally opposing quotation.

That's beside the point. You could say the same about Shakespeare, or for that matter, Half Man Half Biscuit. The wisdom or otherwise of the Matthew 7:3 quotation is hardly affected by whatever other material can be found in the Bible. And I thought that the whole idea and purpose of the New Testament was to replace and supersede the creeds of the Old Testament that were well outdated even 2,000 years ago.

Er..., I would have thought that was obvious? The Green Party are in government with the party most associated with the Irish breed of the "scum" that Mr. Gogarty bemoans.

Ah OK. Thought your reference was alluding to people being "banged up" or something.

I'm sorry - I just must protest.

Number One - you cannot compare Shakespeare or the Bible to Half Man Half Biscuit. HMHB have much better lyrics and it's a bugger to try to mosh to the New Testament.

Number Two - I challenge you to find a totally opposing quotation to "So he sent his doting mother up the stairs with the stepladder to get the Subbuteo out of the loft..."

Blackwell's a genius.

Number Two - I challenge you to find a totally opposing quotation to "So he sent his doting mother up the stairs with the stepladder to get the Subbuteo out of the loft..."

Gotcha

Now you are gone forever
Shot by your uncle Trevor
When Cupid threw her last dart
You, girl, were still in my heart
Now I love you more than ever
Even though I married Trevor
or even
Slowly I picked my life up
Now I go and pick the wife up
She works in Marks And Spencer’s
La la la Lech Walesas