Glenville Avenue - Blanchardstown or Castleknock

clann

Have seen a house for sale on glenville avenue which is described as castleknock. Thought the area around Roselawn was Blanchardstown. Are the estate agents trying to pull a fast one by describing it as castleknock

Hi Clann,
Have been a Happy Blanchie all my life and basically there did used to be a line about half way down the Roselawn road (around shopping centre) where anything south of that was deemed Castleknock. Nowadays it's a moot point as with a sorting office in D. 15 it means those descriptors are unnecessary - all you need is house number, street name and D. 15. It's also a moot point because you've got Carpenterstown and Laurel Lodge between Blanchardstown and Castleknock - both of these are places that like to tag themselves onto Castleknock which when they have their own schools, churches etc I don't think is right. Castleknock is in the Greater Blanchardstown area in the same way as Sheepmore or Corduff are - unless you're selling a house that is. I'm sure estate agent thinks they'll get more money with the tag - though you're probably getting better value for your money in a slightly older, more solid house.

Thanks for that. Seems most of the houses around the area have tagged the castleknock address to them. Do you know what the area is like and is the traffic as bad as i've been told it is in clonsilla / riverwood.

Area: can't comment specifically on Glenville but imagine it's quite settled.

Traffic: whichever way you're heading when it's bad (ie for M50 or Castleknock village and then thru park) I imagine they are equally bad (which is pretty damn bad) personally I go down Roselawn as even when it's backed up around the bend there is only 1 slight rat run people can take whereas when you're in a queue to get out of Laurel Lodge onto same road there seems to be people taking short cuts all over the place and then squeezing onto the one road which drove me bonkers. The parking for the train station at then end of Roselawn exacerbates the problem as often those wanting to go left at the lights can't get into lane. Summer is fine - taking me 15-20 mins average now from Clonsilla Road to Parkgate St. When it's bad I'd expect 30-40 mins from Clonsilla Road just to Castleknock park gates.

It used to be Clonsilla, the residents association has something to do with changing the address recently, a couple of years ago. So its not the estate agent that’s fooling you. Soon the whole of Dublin 15 will be castleknock. The traffic would not be as bad as further up nearer Clonsilla village however it can be very bad getting through blanch in the morning if you are going that way. The area is nice quite settled, houses are about 30 years old so you would have a lot of people with older kids and a few young families. Overall quite quiet. And it handy enough to the train station and library/ cinema.

Hi, I was brought up in Glenville, nice area & very quite, perfect location to everything. Traffic in D15 in general tho is getting worse. I have always used my address as Clonsilla, though people do use Blanchardstown/Castleknock. The way I think of it is which village is nearest & that would defo would not be castleknock. In my mind anything past the canal is castleknock, glenville is other side. Cannot understand how people can say the area is Castleknock (house prices obvioulsy) but it stinks of snobbery.

Thanks for all the replys. Area seems really nice and beside plenty of amenities. Just worried about the traffic as drive into city centre for work. Is the best way through the park or is there a better route?

Traffic - live on Clonsilla Rd, work in Donnybrook village.
Train good but packed, I need car too generally for flexibility so this am for example left @ 7.45pm and parked in D'brook @ 8.30am. In winter I leave @ 7.30 and might just about get in for 9am. BUT - worst of journey is actually getting through Blanch/Castleknock once you are through there you have far more alternatives etc. I listen to DCAL 103 FM and that effects my routes. The commute is worth it for me for the convenience and amenities on my doorstep the rest of the time.

Thanks round tuit - went to view house in the area a few weeks ago and it took over an hour and 15 mins to get there from ranelagh although probably didn't go the best route. Agree the amenities would outweigh the communte especially if i could do it in 45mins. Is the traffic any better earlier in the morning say about 6.30/7.00. Sorry about all the questions just don't want to end up spending most of the day in traffic

I'd imagine traffic's significantly better at that hour - I just can't get up that early . . . I've got the type of job that it doesn't matter how early you get there , there's going to be too much happening for you to even think about leaving before 6 or 6.30pm.
Evening commute home would vary less and would average at just under an hour. Train takes the same length of time if you have to change (I would at Pearse and then continue to Landsdowne) or walk from Pearse to D'drook takes about same time.

Also a happy blanchie.

Glenville Avenue was Clonsilla when I was a kid. Delwood, which is beside Glenville was always Castleknock. Both are nearer Blanchardstown church.

Estate Agents and cute builders are responsible for both addresses.

Past30

Past30Now said:
Also a happy blanchie.

Glenville Avenue was Clonsilla when I was a kid. Delwood, which is beside Glenville was always Castleknock. Both are nearer Blanchardstown church.

Estate Agents and cute builders are responsible for both addresses.

Past30

Nope, the address was changed by the residents association a couple of years ago, I know somebody who lives on the very road he is talking about so it was the residents being snobby, it is technically castleknock same as Derwood (even though neither are near castleknock, I always thought over the canal myself. ) but it is estate agents as well. Castleknock is getting bigger and bigger.

Over the canal was never really Castleknock, it was Carpenterstown/Laurel Lodge to the left and Riverwood to the right. Castleknock is miles away. How long would it take to walk from Riverwood to Myos. How long would it take to walk from Riverwood to the Clonsilla Inn. I rest my case

Is there such a place as Coolmine? Coolmine Cross, Coolmine train station etc. Doesn't sound as posh as Castleknock does it?

Coolmine is really only a townland - but it did exist long before any houses were built in either Laurel Lodge, Carpenterstown or Riverwood. I agree with y’all that local wisdom would put the border along the canal but hey, let people call where they live whatever they like. I don’t think it works - I think you just make yourself look foolish, cause delivery people to get lost and make people searching for property for sale in blanchardstown or whereever miss your listing because it’s mis-labelled.

If one was to look at the official DED's for Fingal Co Co (District Electoral Division) you will see that no part of Roselawn is within Castleknock. The Blanchardstown-Roselawn & Blanchardstown Delwood DED cover all areas of Roselawn. Once you cross the bridge at the canal/railway line you are in the Castleknock-Park DED. The Castleknock-Knockmaroon DED covers the Laurel Lodge/Carpenterstown areas...

Tesco and a lot of the shops in Roselawn shopping centre give their addresses as Blanchardstown.

The private houses all around it give their addresses as Castleknock

Rented there years ago, and had to listen to ramblings of taxi-drivers about the boundaries of C'knock/B'town