glass worktops?

newext

I am updating my kitchen and am looking for something a bit different for a worktop and saw a magazine article on coloured glass worktops. It looks great but I just want to know if anyone out there has one and how they find it. My other option was granite/quartz, but dying to know if the glass is just as good or are there downsides?

I don't have a glass work top but did see one in a glass showroom in Ranelagh... It is very eye catching but I would imagine it is a nightmare to keep clean - finger marks etc....

1. It is veeeeeeery expensive
2. It is fashionable now but it's uncertain for how long, while you can't go wrong with granite
3. It's a nightmare to cut if your walls are not perfectly even
4. Personally I don't think it would look as great as all worktops rather than a worktop for a kitchen island or a breakfast bar

My kitchen has glass worktops (they were there when we moved in) and we can’t wait to get rid of them! The constantly look filthy and you can see every mark, scuff, fingerprint, crumb, steam line, water drop, grease mark on them. No matter how much we clean them they look dirty! Another problem is that dirt and moisture gets in to the layer under the glass and is very difficult to clean (you have to try and lift the glass worktop off and polish underneath perfectly) before putting the glass back. Around the sink area, water always manages to get underneath the glass. It’s not a new kitchen, so I am sure that glass worktops these days are not set in the same way. But I definitely won’t have one in our new kitchen, when we finally get around to organising it.

Thanks a million to all of you for that, think I will look at granite/quartz instead, ye confirmed all my fears!

Thanks

Back