Glass Table Explosion

tigra

Good Morning all,

I just have a very strange question. My parents are moving into their new house this week and my father was putting their glass dinning table back together when it exploded into 1000's of pieces!!!!!!
He lay the glass down on cardboard at the time when it happened as he is a very careful man. My mother was also in the room at the time but they were both very lucky to get away with a few small cuts.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Tigra

Re: Table Explosion

is there a sharp object that the glass is sitting on? maybe a tiny nails ?

how the glass is fixed onto the table?

No he hadn't started putting it together. He put the glass part down on cardboard while he went off to get the legs and screws.

It exploded? As in not just cracked apart but blew up into the air? This post will be deleted if not edited immediately!!!

Read these articles for information:

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[URL="http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/martha_stewart_tables.html"]www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/martha_stewart_tables.html

[/URL]

If it was made of tempered glass then potentially putting it on top of a small hard object sticking up from the flat surface or even moving from a hot to a cold environment or vice versa could be enough to make it explode.

it sounded like a screw or some object gets between the glass and board...i suppose if they are safty glass so they don't crack like normal glass..

I work with Glass sheets and toughened glass is notorious for doing this, so we stopped using it.

You can get a sheet of toughened safety glass and hit it with a sledge hammer in the center and it will no break, but just catch it on the edge of the sheet and it can explode into a million pieces!

so is it correct glass should be kept vertical and not horizontal unless its sitting on a falt secure place?

This happened to us with a glass shower door some years ago. Fortunately nobody was in the shower (or even the room) at the time. There was just a large cracking sound and the whole thing went into millions of pieces.