Glass splashback

mainie

Been looking into getting a tinted glass splashback for the kicthen in my new house as I think it looks great. Got a quote from a company called Glass Ireland ([broken link removed]) but it was €1500 plus VAT which seems a lot for a smallish kitchen. Does anyone know if there's any other company that does this? Would it be possible to get this type of glass from any glass shop?
Thanks

I have a glass splashback in my kitchen. As I have a granite worktop and granite up-stand I needed someting behind my cooker and tiles would have looked wrong. Wexford Glass did mine. I am sure any good glass company could do it for you.

I had it fitted so that we can take it down whenever we have our kitchen painted so as the colour will be the same. I went with a clear safety glass with polished edges.

The gentleman who fitted mine wanted to run a seal of silicone on the top of mine and I said no and I think that I should have let him do it as sometimes when there is alot of steam it seems to get damp patches behing the glass. I think that the problem is where my overhead presses finish on either side of my extractor fan, there is a section of about 900m wide x 150mm high and it is just painted wall and the steam from there runs down inside the glass. It dries up again in about and hour or so.

When we have it down for painting next time, when we put it back up hubby will run a strip of clear silicone across top where it won't be seen.

Argos do a glass splashback with a design on it. I think its around €30.

Hi Sloggi,

No its not hard to keep clean. I use my steam cleaner to clean it (& sometimes regular glass cleaner). It does'nt get cleaned every week - with a 2yr old and working full time its hard enough to get the time to cook dinner! Its right behind my hob. I very rarely use a frying pan only for stir-fry's and I would usually have them on the front of the hob, so its mostly steam from saucepans and I leave the extractor fan on for about 5 mins after cooking (while I'm dishing food out) to give it a chance to dry off quicker.

The fact that the glass is clear, it does'nt stand out in the kitchen.

Back