Glass instead of tiles in kitchen

-Gal1

I am currently in the process of moving into to new house. The other half has bought some magazines to get ideas on the decoration etc. Check some out and saw where they had used a coloured glass instead of tiles on the wall above the work surfaces, sink etc. Anybody do this? if so where did you get the glass? how much was it? and how did you put it up? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for the update sueellen, It is more the idea of 2-3 glass panels rather than individual tiles that I was looking for.

I have seen this in one apartment - it was just a glass panel that was screwed to the wall behind sink as a splashback......it looked like a good idea - any time you repaint the kitchen you just unscrew the panel to take it off & paint under it.

I assume you could do this easy enough yourself if you got the correct size piece of glass

If you're in Dublin, you could try Blackrock Glass. I paid around 130 euros for a 2.6 metre run x .6m high. Looks good, easy to maintain. I also got the holes to screw it in - although my builder said I should have just stuck it on the wall - as the glues are strong enough and it looks better then all the fiddly screws.

check out new kitchen homebase mag (free in store) page 54, i got the mag 2 weeks ago, hence why i say new one, could be out for 6 months for all i know!! they've three different colours of splashback: Bride (white i think...it has lights in the pic so hard to tell if white / clear, but "bride" suggests the former), vermeer(redy/pink) and ebony (dark bluey black looking colour) doesn't quote prices but seems that 3 sizes are also available in each: 600 x 750, 1000 x 504 or 140 x 1000.

HTH

Sloggi

PS i dont work for the company, i just have a disturbing interest in kitchens!!!

Sloggi, thanks for the update. I am based in Galway but due to go to Dublin Friday 14th so can try and get into Homebase to get the mag. Have spoken to some more people and looks like I would get better off getting an glass maker to come in and measure once the kitchen units are installed and get them to make some glass panels.

got my mag in sligo so i'm sure there's one in galway just so you can see the idea!! agree though that getting made to measure prob best job!!

Back