Glasnevin/Drumcondra boys schools question

cormster1

hi,

We are thinking about moving in to the city after ten years of the outer reaches of the Arrow train and for work reasons the Glasnevin/Drumcondra area seems to make the most sense. We have no family connections there and are struggling to find out information about boys primary schools. Our son is aged 8 so would be going into 4th class in September. Can anyone assist with a recommendation? We don't have any preference for single sex/mixed but would like an RC school.

Thanks

Sacred Heart CBS on St Canice's Road is a good school and a feeder into the secondary school around the corner St Kevin's College.
Glasnevin/Drumcondra are very nice areas so I would not expect any problems.

Sacred Heart CBS on St Canice's Road is a good school and a feeder into the secondary school around the corner St Kevin's College.
Glasnevin/Drumcondra are very nice areas so I would not expect any problems.

I went theremyself many years ago and have two nephews there at the moment and it seems to still be a good school. But not sure if its convenient to you depending on the part of Glasnevin you were planning to move to.

By all accounts St Pats in Drumcondra is a very very good school, have no idea what it is like to get into.

Another school in Glasnevin is St Vincents, we're hoping to send our little fella there when he starts school. It's supposedly a very sports orientated school with a swimming pool and they have soccer/gaa activities too.

My brother went to Pats, very good school and great reputation, in the heart of Drumcondra. Other good schools in Glasnevin for boys are Sacred Heart Ballygall, Scoil Mobhi (gaelscoil), Glasnevin Educate TOgether (behind Met Office) and Vincents for secondary is a good option but there are another couple, St. Aidans Whitehall, Rosmini Drumcondra. HTH

I was in St Pats Drumcondra and would recommend, same with St Aidan's CBS in Whitehall for secondary, but I'd be comparing it to other schools closer to Beaumont, I'm not sure what the schools closer to Glasnevin/Phibsborough are like

pats and scoil mobhi are great primary schools. would avoid rosmini and vincents for secondary; feeder schools for mountjoy prison.

pats and scoil mobhi are great primary schools. would avoid rosmini and vincents for secondary; feeder schools for mountjoy prison.

I'd heard Rosmini had improved since my time (~10 years ago) but agreed on Vincents :)

Oh god don't send him to Vincents, it's a KIP. Feeder school for Mountjoy is right, I grew up 300m from it, and not a single one of the guys I knew who did go actually went to college.
I went to Educate Together (which was NDNSP, and behind the Met office then) now up beside St. Michael's House, very good primary school.
I went to secondary in Clontarf, none of the local schools were contenders.
He'll get fit cycling :)

I wouldn't recommend Vincents. I have no recent experience of it. Though I doubt it has changed much.

Is there not a results table that you can see what the results are like from each school? That would tell you a lot.

Hi there,
I have a nephew going to St Pats in Drumcondra - there are some very good teachers there, and some not so good ones. However in general my SIL is happy with the school. Another plus about the area you are moving to is you have Na Fianna at your doorstep and it is an incrediablly active club.. All my Glasnevin nieces and nephews go there..

Good choice of location...

I must agree St pats is a very good school is may have somthing to do do with been attached to the teachers college, its actually on the same grounds. Ass with sickaroll i also went to secondry near clontarf and i also got fit cycling :). Avoid Vincents the brother and some mates went there and left very promplty

Back