Giving up the smokes

Just give them up. Seriously, hypnotists & 'yes you can' books? Have people no will power.

I've tried loads of times, I become so nasty that my boss offers to buy them for me if I can't afford them!

It'd be so much easier if I was any other type of addict... sex, drugs or rock'n'roll!

Every time I've given up I've lasted a little longer so maybe one day soon I'll be able to quit for good... best of luck PaddyW

Just give them up. Seriously, hypnotists & 'yes you can' books? Have people no will power.

Have to agree with you here - I don't think people are successful because deep down they really don't want to - it takes serious willpower so until you are fully ready to commit and perhaps have a good reason to give up it might not work. In my OH's case he wants to pursue diving so smoking has to go. In my case I like to run so smoking had to go! .

I quit using Alan carr, its not for everyone, but when it works, it works! Well worth a try. I used to smoke all types, but Maor were my favourite. I sometimes get a craving for a smoke, but I know too well how it would taste and misery it would lead to. So I never worry about going back on them. Good luck.

M

+1 for the Alan Carr book - I gave the book to one of my best friends and I was really chuffed when he thanked me for getting him to give them up.

Been off the fags since 2001 - used to have cravings on a fri afternoon for a fag and a beer but been fine for a long time.

But I'd need a partner first haha

To help you along the road to giving them up remind yourself constantly that you have a better chance of getting a partner if you give up smoking because you won't reek of smoke. Its one of the many positives aspects of giving them up.

I never noticed the smell of cigarettes when hubby smoked all the time but because of ill-health he had to give them up some years ago. He has recently started smoking an odd one much to my annoyance. The smell is absolutely disgusting from his clothes.

Both of the kids hate cigarettes because of the smell alone and son regularly puts all his clothes in the wash when he returns from a night out with friends who smoke. Can't say I blame him.

Another encouragement is to put the money aside each week that you would have spent on cigarettes, it will probably provide a holiday before long.

I always remember my poor grandmother smoking newspaper when the doctors told her that her chest was too congested for an anasthetic to do her cataract operation.

Well I'm still off the smokes, thank God. The more time I'm off them, the more disgusting the thought of going back on them is to me. I do still get cravings, but I know that if I was to smoke one now I'd just ruin all the good work and I know I would feel absolutely terrible after it. I am feeling great now, I do however have a heavy chest and a bit of a sore throat, but I was expecting that as no doubt the body is attempting to clean itself out.

I had tried before, but like someone said above, I don't think my heart was fully in it. This time though, it really is. I haven't put on an ounce either this time, whereas last time I must've put on a half a stone really quickly. I'm drinking loads of water, something I have never done before and replacing my snacks with chewing gum or bits of fruit.

Next step now is to join the gym. Hopefully this time next year I'll be nice and muscular!

Allan Carr book for me too but agree that the most important thing is to WANT to give up smoking and when you're ready, then go for it.
Only time I'm tempted is when out in the pub and everyone disappears ouside for a smoke

Good luck with breaking the habit. Its tough but take one day at a time. Believe me , it will get easier and remember ,its the first one that brings you down ,so hold on.
I gave up the weeds years ago after everything under the sun failed. In the end it was will power egged on by the fear of throat cancer.

Dont let us down Paddy . We're watching you

Deep down you have to really want to give them up,not just because of the price,health,family reasons,whatever else,otherwise none of the gimmicks will work

Good Luck PaddyW. I too am an off and on smoker. Will generally give them up for a year or two and then find myself back on them fooling myself that "it is only one"!! never works out that way and I end up on them from anything like a couple of months to a couple of years. Had a fall a couple of weeks ago and cracked a rib and damged some muscle. Couldn't breathe so had to quit. Absolutely delighted, having slight pangs now that the pain has died down but determined to stay off them, must start putting the €8.50 in a jar each day from today! Like some others have said the Allen Carr book is great. Must root it out and keep it with me for moments of weakness............. the very best of luck with it Paddy, keep it up, its so worth it. I could go on and on but will stop here, just let me know if you want a million more reasons not to smoke I know most of them just have to stick with them myself too.