giving out my bank details

pAnTs

Hi there Im renting a room out to a girl in Spain but I wanted to get a deposit from her as she wont be here before she is meant to move in. She has asked for my bank details, I believe she is genuine but I just wondered whether it was very stupid to give out my bank account etc to a stranger amny thanks in advance

Anyone you give a cheque to has your bank details. It shouldn't be an issue, and is the way things are done on the continent.

It should not be an issue. She can only put money in to your account and not out.

someone could setup a direct debit plus using your account details, and other info they could easily get

if i find out my friends bank sortcode + 8 digit account number
and I combine that with the information i already know birthdate + address
I can "sign" him up for many services that accept payment by direct debit plus

for example www.motorcard.ie

my only profit however would be schadenfreude

Why is it then that some of the email scams ask for your account details so they can lodge money to hide from a 'new incoming government'...

Usually the scam in those mails is that once you start responding, then they ask you for money up front to cover costs/bribes/getting the money out of the country. They don't take money directly from your account.

Why is it then that some of the email scams ask for your account details so they can lodge money to hide from a 'new incoming government'

It makes their story more believeable. After all, they will need your bank account details to lodge your winnings! Also, some fraud rings launder stolen money through third party accounts, and they might try to use you for that.

if i find out my friends bank sortcode + 8 digit account number
and I combine that with the information i already know birthdate + address
I can "sign" him up for many services that accept payment by direct debit plus

for example www.motorcard.ie

my only profit however would be schadenfreude
It is a very real risk that most choose to ignore as fantasy. Also trying to cancel a DD plus is no mean feat as each new dd is treated as a new mandate.

It is a very real risk that most choose to ignore as fantasy. Also trying to cancel a DD plus is no mean feat as each new dd is treated as a new mandate.

People really should review their bank statements every month. This would ensure such thing are caught quickly.

Is there such a thing(system) that you can block DD been requested unless attend the bank in person, with ID in hand?

Jaid

If you have the time, examine and check every statement, bill, invoice, demand, and receipt. If you don't have the time get someone to do it for you. If you don't have someone to do it for you, make the time!!

Back