Giving credit card details over the phone

Guru

I paid for a domain with crazydomains.co.uk by credit card. They said they never received payment but my credit card issuer assured me they received payment.

Crazydomains now want to ring me on the telephone so I can give them my full credit card details to help them find the payment in their system. I got a missed call from them from a number wikipedia has identified as a mobile from from Kyrgyzstan.

Generally do you think it is a good idea to give credit card details to companies over the phone when they really appear to be a legitimate company?

I recently stopped giving out the CCV number over the phone unless the transaction fails because of its not supplied. They can process the card without this number but wont be able to use it online.

My reason for this is that anyone on the other side of the phone could write all the details down and use them online or in one case when booking a B&B the lady asked for all the CC details for security on the booking. I only assume it went into a book alongside other customer details. I'm not sure how secure that information would be, surely anyone working/visiting the B&B could get a hold of this book.

I'm sure they will just require you CC number to do their search.

It sounds a little bit strange. Is the payment showing up on your credit card statement? If so it should be enough for you to give the company the date of the payment as I'm sure they can search based on this along with your name rather than needing your credit card details again.
On your question, I would have no issue giving the credit card details over the phone but if it were me I would prefer to ring them rather than have them ring me, just so you can be sure you are dealing with the company.

Yes, the payment is showing up on my credit card statement.

The credit card issuer confirmed they received payment and provided me with a reference number to help them identify the payment.