Giving a statement to the Gardai

know it all

Hello, I was wondering how soon after an accident must the investigating Gardai ask for a statement? I imagine the more time that passes the more likely it is for important facts to be forgotten.

Thanks.

Hello, I was wondering how soon after an accident must the investigating Gardai ask for a statement?
I'm open to correction but I would imagine that's entirely up to the investigating garda/gardai. I had to provide one last year - and as far as I recollect, it was somewhere between 10 days - 2 weeks before I was called in to provide the statement.

I imagine the more time that passes the more likely it is for important facts to be forgotten.
Absolutely. If this is related to you or someone you know, then you should suggest that they get a pen and paper out right now - and right up exactly what happened -while it's still fresh in their memory....and that means everything with meticulous detail.

Hello, I was wondering how soon after an accident must the investigating Gardai ask for a statement? I imagine the more time that passes the more likely it is for important facts to be forgotten.

Thanks.

Immediate accounts are preferred by the Gardaí and disliked by defense solicitors - you don't have time to develop a "story".

In general, the sooner the better for the facts, assuming the witness is not in shock, when they can say silly things.

a
s far as I recollect, it was somewhere between 10 days - 2 weeks before I was called in to provide the statement.[/QUOTE

4 months so would seem to be a long time.

4 months so would seem to be a long time.
hmmm...well, yes. But you have not given specifics.

Ajapale asked what sort of 'accident'. Also, is it in your interests to make this statement? If so, maybe you should be pursuing this agenda? If it's not, then maybe there's nothing to worry about - BUT - you should still make a meticulous note of exactly what happened....for your own benefit. If four months have passed, you would be amazed at what small (but maybe critically important) details have just faded into the ether...

If there are legal repercussions here - then maybe you should be getting professional advice on this - and other aspects of the chain of events??