Gilmore wife got €525,000 for school site now worth just €100,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the problem with this? She sold a plot of land at market value.

What are we suggesting? That she return 425K to the OPW? That would make no sense. What was she suposed to do with the land? Hold on to it for fear she might be able to sell it for market value?

Assuming she paid all the relevant taxes, I see no problem with this.

(I am not a member of the Labour Party, or any other political party).

Not suggesting that at all. Have no problem with her or Sean Dunne or any other person making money. But I wasn't the leader of a political party that has spent the past two years mouthing off at anyone who profited from the property market. Next time Gilmore goes on about greed and the rich etc, maybe he should think twice and remember none of us are innocent.

What's the problem with this? She sold a plot of land at market value.

Assuming she paid all the relevant taxes, I see no problem with this.

Absolutely right.

I have a problem with the following though:

A spokesman for the Labour leader would only say the money belonged to his wife, and not to Mr Gilmore. "She is a private citizen and it is her money, not his," he said.

It's their money, no wrongdoing, nothing to hide, end of story.

Maybe it starts to get a bit real for labour here.

Maybe, there are no big bad evil property tycoons who have all our money and our laughing at our plight.

Maybe it's possible that normal people like you and I actually own property.

Maybe they'll need to finally admit that normal people benefitted from the boom and normal people will have to pay for it.

Maybe they'll have to leave the charade that 99% of us are innocent victims who never gained a cent from the boom and shouldn't pay a cent more towards paying for public services to Sinn Fein

Sorry, Lads, you've lost me. Think ye're being a bit hysterical here.

She sold one plot of land that she inherited. That hardly puts her at the same level as Sean Dunne, now does it?

The level doesn't matter. Eamonn Gilmore can't stand there moaning about property developers benefiting from inflated land prices because of FF economic policies when his wife did exactly the same. Whether she made half a million or half a billion is not the point.

Whats the problem ?

Its not as if she was formerly a member of a political party which was printing bank notes in the basement of Gardiner St or whose military wing murderered Larry White in Cork.

Eamonn Gilmore can't stand there moaning about property developers benefiting from inflated land prices because of FF economic policies when his wife did exactly the same.

He can moan quite legitimately if he acknowledges that his wife is among them. He can moan even further if she's not putting any of it his way.:)

I don't care who the OPW buys land off, as long as they don't pay crazy money.

Who not just CPO the land at 10k per acre???

Why does the State always overpay????

This is peanuts compared to the site at Thorntan Hall (where the new prison is supposed to be built).
I think the government paid 30 million for what is essentially farm land that is currently only worth a million or two.

Absolutely right.

I have a problem with the following though:

A spokesman for the Labour leader would only say the money belonged to his wife, and not to Mr Gilmore. "She is a private citizen and it is her money, not his," he said.

It's their money, no wrongdoing, nothing to hide, end of story.

I absolutely agree with this. It's their money. Trying to dump the story as being his wife's business, stinks. A bit like the bankers and developers transferring the family home in to the wife's name. Nothing to do with me type of thing.

Could those who are stirring up this issue be a bit more specific at what actions they would have expected from the lady in question?

Should she have declined to inherit the family property? Should she have sold it to the State at below market value? Should she have refunded the State for the loss in value since the sale?

What actions would be required for people not to stir up this non-issue?

I have already said I don't have a problem with what she did. I have a problem with the crap that has come out from eamonn and his labour colleagues over the past couple of years about all the evil people who profited from land development and property when eamonns own wife was at it. Fair play to her for making money but her husband should bear that in mind next time he starts the usual populist bashing of anyone that made money that he is such a fan of.
Also she is not just any woman in question. She is his wife and to see eamonn distance himself from her is pitiful.

I have already said I don't have a problem with what she did. I have a problem with the crap that has come out from eamonn and his labour colleagues over the past couple of years about all the evil people who profited from land development and property when eamonns own wife was at it.

Well said.

I have already said I don't have a problem with what she did. I have a problem with the crap that has come out from eamonn and his labour colleagues over the past couple of years about all the evil people who profited from land development and property when eamonns own wife was at it. Fair play to her for making money but her husband should bear that in mind next time he starts the usual populist bashing of anyone that made money that he is such a fan of.
Also she is not just any woman in question. She is his wife and to see eamonn distance himself from her is pitiful.

Well said.
Has Gilmore ever said anything to indicate that anyone should not be allowed to buy and sell land at market rates?

Could those who are stirring up this issue be a bit more specific at what actions they would have expected from the lady in question?

Should she have declined to inherit the family property? NO.
Should she have sold it to the State at below market value? NO.

BUT the "market value" should be agri value + 10%, i.e. less than 15k per acre.

I don't care if she's the Pope's wife, my problem is this:

The State paying 525k for 3 acres or less for a school while children are taught in cramped old room, or prefabs.

I want edu exp to go on education, not to landowners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back