Gifting second home to child

Salvadore

I just read a budget-related question in the IT in relation to gifting a house to a child. According to the article, this can be done tax free.

My wife inherited her late mother’s house in Sligo some years ago and has kept it going pretty much as a holiday home. It’s not used much and is really only costing money. She’s decided to sell.

As an alternative, is there any benefit to gifting the house to our child? Realistically he won’t ever live there so if that’s a requirement it’s a non-runner.

Would welcome any pros or cons on the possibility.

I just read a budget-related question in the IT in relation to gifting a house to a child. According to the article, this can be done tax free.
This doesn't sound correct.

There is a limited CAT dwelling house relief which doesn't apply to second homes. It doesn't extend to CGT.

This doesn't sound correct.

There is a limited CAT dwelling house relief which doesn't apply to second homes. It doesn't extend to CGT.
Thanks.

I read it again. It needs to be within the (now) €400k limit with CGT payable on transfer by the seller.

Still wondering whether there’s any virtue in going this route.

Thanks.

I read it again. It needs to be within the (now) €400k limit with CGT payable on transfer by the seller.
That's not a relief and if the IT article is claiming it as such, it's misleading.

The 400k threshold is a lifetime allowance and unless increased in time, any transfer of this property to your child will exhaust some of that.
Still wondering whether there’s any virtue in going this route.
That would be for your wife and yourself to decide.

Is this the article/question?