Gift Tax Return

casperjack

Hi I am due to file a tax return for a gift I got from my uncle.
My uncle gave me €3,000 in July and then another €9,500 in September, so a total of €12,500.
I am looking at trying to do the return myself for my uncles gift, but have some questions.

I also received an inheritance this year from the same group b threshold of €28,888 but the solicitor done the return for that one earlier this year.

In relation to my uncles gift looking on line I think I have to do two returns. The first one up to 31st August this year and then one from 1 Sept onwards.

Can I claim the €3000 small gift exemption and do I put that off the first €3,000? So on first return I would not owe tax, but still have to do a return.

Then on the return from 1Sept would the below make sense
32,500 - 28,888 = 3612
9,500-3612=5,888 (or do I put the full 12,500 figure here even though I claimed the 3,000 gift exemption)
5,888 x 33% = €1,943.04 tax due

Does the above calculations look right?

Can I file the hard copy form of IT38S for these as it looks less complicated than the online version. Or would I be better looking to see if I can get an accountant to do this for me. How much would an accountant charge for this would anyone know?

Hope the above makes sense.

Calculation looks correct to me. Its very easy to do online, certainly not worth paying someone to do it

Calculation looks correct to me. Its very easy to do online, certainly not worth paying someone to do it
Thanks will give it a try.
Would it make much difference if I put it all on the one form instead of doing the two as I will be paying the same tax either way just makes it easier doing the one application

There is a space on the IT38 online return to add notes/comments - whatever works for you, you can add a note of explanation if you want

I often think that Revenue gets a lot of money from the taxpayer for little effort. For example inheritance tax. Solicitors and accountants do all the work and supply the final figure for return. Sent into Revenue, a quick perusal and a demand to pay up. Usually thousands of Euro

Back