Gift for 80 year old man

TreeTiger

Any suggestions for something - maybe around the 100 euro mark but prepared to go a bit more - for uncle-in-law turning 80 next week?

I'm completely stuck for ideas and husband away this week so I need to get it sorted. Uncle doesn't drink, so no bottles of nice whiskey are an option unfortunately! He is in poor health so we can't really take him out to a show or anything like that.

A nice framed wall print of some kind. Maybe something that would mean something to him like somehwhere he has been etc?

Collect some photos of him growing up or where he is from and put them in a nice frame.

Whats he into?
Does he like to read? What kind of subject matter?
Does he enjoy movies? What kind?
What about a food/tea type hamper?

Is there anything missing in his house? A lamp or a mat or a throw or cushions or a new kettle or something?

What does he do with himself on a daily basis?

What about the front page of the Irish Times from the day he was born see here -

http://www.irishtimes.com/pagesales/

One caveat - Please be aware that Frontpages published before 1940 solely contain adverts !! So maybe don't got for the front page !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for those replies, some helpful ideas there. He likes to read, mainly thriller type books I think, but is particular about movies. I've been told he remembers every movie he's ever seen and doesn't like to watch one twice! The house is a bit old-fashioned in that it's stuffed with knick-knacks all over the place, I think even a picture for the wall would need to be fairly small.

I'll start off with looking to see are there any good new thrillers out, or any books on his local area from way back when.