ghosting of text on an LCD monitor

Marie

My Sony LCD 19" monitor has been a joy for 18 months. My use is principally for documents and academic work. Tonight when I switched on I get "ghosting" (grey pale smudge behind text and graphics, and a kind of faint shadow. I've gone to the control panel, adjusted the display settings and restarted and for the first few minutes the display is back to normal; then the "ghosting" builds up again. Does anyone have ideas on how to correct this? The fans are working OK and everything else is normal.

Try leaving a blank whie screen turned on for a period of time as this may refresh the screen. Your screen drivers may have diagnostic tools to help with this.

C

thanks Capaill I will try that! After I e-mailed I closed down the computer for half-an-hour and restarted and the doubling-up was less. The "menu" thingie along the side of the monitor doesn't appear to do much when I try adjustments. By the way is there a limit on the life of an LCD monitor? Someone told me switching on and off causes more stress so he leaves his on day and night! This one doesn't doesn't have any dead pixils or anything of the kind. I wondered what in general is the lifespan of a good monitor?

Download and burn a live CD distribution of GNU/Linux (e.g. Kanotix or Knoppix or one of the many others available) and boot off it and see if the problem still appears. If it does then it's most likely a hardware problem. If it doesn't then it's most likely a Windows software/driver problem. If it's the latter then make sure that you have the latest display and related drivers installed, try rolling back to earlier XP System Restore points if applicable, and maybe try http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx (ClearType) to see if that helps.

ClubMan thank you so much! Late last night I went for the "system restore" option and it has worked.

Interesting - note that System Restore will have undone some recent changes which could include Windows updates and other software installations. As such you might need to get to the bottom of the problem so that you can reapply any now outstanding updates etc. At least you now know that it's most likely a Windows software/driver/configuration problem and not a hardware problem. If you can check the details of the System Restore rollback it might give some clues as to what was removed that rectified the problem.

Back