Ghost Bidders at Car Auction

pc7

Was the at the car auction in ashbourne last night, have bought previously here and often noticed ghost bidders, in that the auctioner just points in a general direction (no one bidding there) and accepts a bid and keeps the price rising. There weren't too many there last night (25 bid numbers so the desk said) yet I must have put 15 bids on myself! as he kept pointing at me when others were bidding. When the vehicle I was interested in finally came through it went for more than I was willing to pay but to get the bidding started he again used a pretend bid. the boyf was interested in a van that was going through and again bidding was pretend started it at 10,000 and wouldn't let it sell even though it was fake bidding. boyf went to desk and was told its a finance company selling and they aren't willing to take less than 11,000 so hence the fake high start on price.
Its so annoying and surely sharp practice or is it just something to accept at an auction or is it worth complaining to nca or ombudsman or someone! its really irriatating.

So why not just start the bidding at the reserve then instead of leading people to believe they can get a vehicle for a lower price??

Sometimes (usually?) a seller doesnt' want to disclose the reserve. Also if the price gets close to the reserve I believe they put a call into the seller to see if they'll accept it.