Getting temporary insurance for a UK import?

steveyd

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a UK car and registering it here. How do I go about getting it insured for the week or two it will have a UK reg?

thanks,

Via your normal insurance, i brought in two cars last year and both times just switched my own policy to the uk car (it doesn't matter that it's a uk reg), once you've got the car registered here and the new Irish plate issued you must of course call them again to update the policy.

Steveyd
Did the same last year, insured the car off the chasis number.Then sent on details of reg number afterwards.Broker was a family friend tho, so not sure about how easy it would be if you were dealing with a large company with a call centre set up.

No family contacts required, have done this 3 times with fbd. Why would it be a problem?

Had terrible trouble dealing with a large company before, out of a call centre.They gave the cheapest quote, but never again.3 months for a no claims bonus to be sent out?Would have been nicer to have teeth pulled than changing car details.impossible to get back onto the same person you dealt with before.but thats for another time, best of luck with the car!

Back