Getting Sponsorship for Charity

stefg

can edit posts
Hi All,

I'm planning a bit of an adventure next year that will involve a lot travelling and I'm looking into doing voluntary work at various points along the way.

I'll be paying for absolutely everything for the trip myself, but I was wondering how I would go about raising some money for charity from the trip. I'm going to do the trip anyway but it would good to do something for a good cause at the same time.
For example, do you think it would be possible to get sponsorship based on the trip? By this I mean people and/or companies sponsoring the trip with the all the sponsorship money go to charity.

Firstly do you think anyone would be interested in sponsoring such a trip? If so, how would I go about getting sponsorship? I was thinking of maybe setting up a weblog or a website for the trip and putting the logos etc of companies who give sponsorship on it. Do you think this might be an incentive to potential sponsors?

I just thought I see if it was a viable option and how to go about it, if it's not going to work then that's the way it goes but I thought I'd check.

Cheers,
Stef

Look in to www.mycharity.ie should be of some use to you.

Do you know of any wealthy business people with a charitable side? Have often found that they would fundraise in their business circle, where you and I may get €100 they would be looking for €1000 + and get it!!
THere is tax relief on charitable givings but it has to have a charity number?

We held a Race night and it raised €12,000, that would be a good one too.

Hi Stef

I work in fundraising for a charity called Self Help. We have had a number of people who undertook events like yours. We actually have a guy who is on a solo motorcycle trip around Africa. He has a web site www.lapofafrica.com or check out our web site you could also get in contact with me david.murray@shdi.org i can email some tips.

Regards David

Look in to www.mycharity.ie should be of some use to you.

I looked into using this website for fund raising... but still have few unanswered questions
1- the charity you want to raise money for has to be registered with them, and not all charities are willing to register with them. Makes me wonder why?
2- they claim that 100% of donations reach the charity. Considering there are a limited company, how do they get some revenue? Is the charity giving them back a percentage of what they get?
3- I found it very difficult to get in touch with them over the phone (just my experience).

Any comments/answers would be appreciated, as i would really like to know how much of the raised money really goes to the selected charity.

Hi All,

Thanks for the posts, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I was away for a couple of weeks.

I'm going to look into the suggestions / comments posted and then I'll get back to you.

Thanks again for the help,
Stef