Getting rid of topsoil

phester

up unitl christmas the dump took topsoil and concete from private users for free. This was ideal as I am only a few min from the kinsale dump (cork)

I was waiting to get a loan from a friend but I have now found out that they have recinded this service and now it is very expensive.

Is the only way to get rid of about 2tonne of topsoil to rent a bin or are they any other ways.

If it were sods I would sell it to the yanks for hundreds so that they can be burried in irish soil.

Proper topsoil is valuable, what about trying any local garden centres or an ad in the local free newspapers.

If the soil is in fact "topsoil" (the top 12" layer or so of vegetable soil as it's known) then you should have no difficulty getting rid of it for free as there are always people looking for topsoil for landscaping. Failing this why not re-use this in your owngarden, create a raised flower or herb bed and maybe use the rest to top dress around your shrubs, trees etc.

From Cork also and building a house.
Soil removed for foundations of house was put to the back of the site.
In the last few months I had to move this and I knew there would be a cost but it is wildly expensive.
Realise you say topsoil and obviously mine was subsoil but we are talking 000's to move and I got 7 quotes from legit and cash based 'boyos' and the range was hilarious

2 Tonne isn't much could you not try losing it some where, put an extra layer on the lawn. You could do a Shawshank Redemption on it in the neighbours garden a bit in the pocket each day.

When we needed to remove oodles of sub-soil from out plot, we found a lovely digger man and he knew a guy with a hole! All told, 15 tractor trailer loads removed, (hurray!) and gratefully received by a man with a massive hole some 5 miles away - €750 for the digger guy, who in turn paid the tractor guy.

Suggestions about raised beds are worth considering too and some farmers may be looking for soil to cover emerging rocks in their fields.

most golf coures in your area will take it off your hands,no worries,
although you should do what other have suggested and raise your garden, the more topsoil the nicer the garden

Your lovely digger man probably got paid by the guy with the hole too!

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone who PMd me.

Will need to get things in order before I can move anything. Might end up doing a stepped patio. I also have to get rid of concrete blocks and hedging so it may be more cost effective to just skip the lot.