Getting rid of Tarmac drive

Gordanus

The tarmac was there when I bought the house about 17 years ago. It's now old and shedding stones (which keep being walked into the house). It's not a large drive - fits a hatchbach with a couple of feet to spare at each end.
I'd love to replace it with a drive that's more ecological - some kind of system of concrete blocks that allows grass to grow (grass permeable paving or ground reinforcement grass paving system). Mainly as I'd like something that can soak up heavy rain, especially as a lot of neighbours have concreted their entire gardens.

Who do I contact to get rid of the tarmac, though? Garden landscapers, tarmac applying people, who does this kind of work? And any idea what it would cost?

The tarmac was there when I bought the house about 17 years ago. It's now old and shedding stones (which keep being walked into the house). It's not a large drive - fits a hatchbach with a couple of feet to spare at each end.
I'd love to replace it with a drive that's more ecological - some kind of system of concrete blocks that allows grass to grow (grass permeable paving or ground reinforcement grass paving system). Mainly as I'd like something that can soak up heavy rain, especially as a lot of neighbours have concreted their entire gardens.

Who do I contact to get rid of the tarmac, though? Garden landscapers, tarmac applying people, who does this kind of work? And any idea what it would cost?
Tarmac is relatively easy to dig up. You need a pick axe and a shovel and to hire a bin for the waste. Laying a concrete driveway though is not easy but your driveway is small enough even for somebody who never poured and levelled concrete.

Tarmac is relatively easy to dig up. You need a pick axe and a shovel and to hire a bin for the waste. Laying a concrete driveway though is not easy but your driveway is small enough even for somebody who never poured and levelled concrete.
concrete is worse than tarmac in terms of ecology and water soakage, if there is stones coming lose on tarmac it means it is also probably porous and water gets through it anyway. The simple solution is just chippings . I actually dug up a concrete driveway and made the lawn bigger years ago

I dug up some tarmac a few months ago, about 15 m^2. Very easy to do. If you’re careful you can lever up large slabs at a time. Makes it very easy to clean up.

Disposal was difficult though. I regarded it as “rubble”.
I drove to one public disposal amenity to be told “we haven’t accepted rubble in five years”. Their website said differently!

Then I drove to another, 25km away, a private disposal site. When the bulldozer guy saw that my “rubble” was in fact tarmac he was none too pleased. Said it’s not part of their licensing any more to dispose of tarmac because it’s so poisonous. However, as it was a small amount he instructed me to dump it into a separate pile and he’d bury it deep in the rubble later where no inspector works find it.
Cost about €20 to dispose of.

This is a great idea, if it’s what I’m thinking of. Is that a concrete latticework where there is soil in the gaps? And grass can be planted in that soil? From a distance it looks like lawn but when you’re up close you can see the lattice work. And it can be driven on?
Great drainage too if done correct my.

They have a large area of that outside Páirc Ui Caoimhe. It’s very aesthetic but practical should trucks or emergency vehicles need access.

Stone chips is probably more ecologically friendly but would only make the problem of stones being dragged into the house worse.

If your car is parked in the driveway most of the time, then grass won't grow well under it.

Then I drove to another, 25km away, a private disposal site. When the bulldozer guy saw that my “rubble” was in fact tarmac he was none too pleased. Said it’s not part of their licensing any more to dispose of tarmac because it’s so poisonous.
I didn't know that it was bad, tarmac rubble, if that is the case it should be more widely flagged that tarmac is terrible for disposal and therefore should not be used on private driveways, no wonder this stuff is fly tipped all over the country by unscrupulous tarmac operators . The practice of digging up lawns to put down concrete or tarmac should be heavily discouraged by all the greenies.

I didn't know that it was bad, tarmac rubble, if that is the case it should be more widely flagged that tarmac is terrible for disposal and therefore should not be used on private driveways, no wonder this stuff is fly tipped all over the country by unscrupulous tarmac operators . The practice of digging up lawns to put down concrete or tarmac should be heavily discouraged by all the greenies.
Joe , the problem with tar in the more recently used is the bitumen content and in the older laid tar is the coal tar product is carcinogenic. Some quarries that produce tar will take it ( newer bitumen based type )as they can recycle it again. The coal tar has to be disposed of as a hazardous material ( murphy environmental, Hollywood )

Gordanus, have you looked at porous asphalt. I know you were thinking of moving away from tar but it might be worth considering. I think Roadstone do a product called " Duraflow " . If a contractor laid it for you they would also dispose of the old surface aswell.

My driveway is tarmacked which is also shedding stones. Is their anything I can do to temporarily stop this problem I am hoping to replace it but that wont be until next year

Last edited:

Unfortunately, the tarmac seems to have been laid above concrete :(

concrete is worse than tarmac in terms of ecology and water soakage, if there is stones coming lose on tarmac it means it is also probably porous and water gets through it anyway. The simple solution is just chippings . I actually dug up a concrete driveway and made the lawn bigger years ago

Still getting stones everywhere! This is the kind of thing I was talking about:

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 07.17.09.png

Back