Getting rid of prev. house owners furniture

Camlink

Hi there,
We have just completed on the purchase of our 'new' home. We were led to believe that the previous owners were clearing out the house. The house was rented for a number of years and needs total refurb. When we finally got the keys last Friday we were disappointed to find that most of the furniture remained - none of which is of any interest to us. Sadly we didn't stipulate that the house should be empty but surely the decent thing would be to leave the premises in a somewhat decent state. (we did with our last house).
Anyway my question is that other than hiring an industrial sized skip at great cost to ourselves, is there anyway of getting rid of the furniture in an environmentally and cost friendly fashion? I know that charities aren't that interested in 2nd hand furniture esp of the old fashioned variety. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
C.

Not sure where you stand, but if worst comes to worst, you could take a digi pic and post the pieces up on the buy and sell site. A friend of mine was trying to get rid of a 3rd hand well worn sofa she had, and this is the way she did it. She would have given it away for free, but actually got 100 euros for it and the buyer organised collection!!

I'd say there's probably a reasonable market for cheap furniture for all the appartments and houses, people are buying to rent out.

Buyandsell or donedeals.ie

or even put it up on the www.adverts.ie website as a free to take away, then whatever is left maybe a couple of trips in the car to the nearest tip - €15 per carload in Baleally in North Dublin.

You could contact your local authority and see if they have any advice. I am in the Dublin City Council area, and every year, once a year, they do a free 'bulky items' collection. Or your local recycling/bring centre may have a furniture facility (not necessarily free), and while you'd probably need to borrow a trailer or van to get the stuff there, it'd probably be cheaper than a skip - and you'd be confident it wasn't going to be illegaly dumped in some remote field.

I know we'll have to get a skip for the carpets etc . It's the idea of breaking up the furniture and rendering it completely useless and also the fact of having to do something that should have been done by prev. owners. I think I the council collection has already been done in the area. I will try the above suggestions and see how I get on.
Many thanks,
C.

We have a section on Furniture.ie where users can advertise their furniture for free - Second hand Furniture

Another option is to hire a skip, fill it up outside your house and leave for a few days - guaranteed removal if there is anything there worth taking!

Thanks,
Richard
www.furniture.ie

You should talk to you solicitor about the furniture left in the house.

The house should be left in good condition, and it is included in the contract that the house is left in good order. There furniture being left behind, without your agreement is not in good order.

They are only advised to leave all fixtures and fittings.... nothing else, unless agree or stipulated in a list?!

SVP normally take furniture to give to those less fortunate or they sell the furniture to make money to fund their charity.
They took an old 3 piece couch from us when we moved in.

[broken link removed]

Good Luck