Getting rid of midges

sparkles

We live in a city by a lovely meandering river.

But in the last two weeks there has been an infestation of thousands and thousands of midges.

I know this is to be expected by a river but the sheer volume of them is amazing.

Consequently, when we come home from work, there are hundreds of them buzzing on the inside of our windows and dead on the floor by the window - we leave the windows slightly ajar during the day.

And at night we daren't put any lights on so as not to attract them.

Its a real pain picking the squished ones off the blinds and hoovering up everyday.

With the weather so hot we need to have windows open all the time.

What can we do to discourage them from coming in, if anything.

Thanks

Re: Getting rid of midgies

South inner city dublin would you believe, a peaceful oasis.

What can we do to discourage them from coming in, if anything.
Thanks

There are quite a few easy to grow plants that midges avoid like the plague, so much so that many of the commercially available anti midge sprays and creams have harnessed extracts from these plants. Most herbs for instance exude aromatic oils that midges detest, you can try growing any of the following yourself....
lemon balm,
chamomile,
lavender,
peppermint,
tansey,
basil, and oregano.

Most can be purchased as potted plants, ideal for staging on indoor and outdoor window sills.

Extract taken from the Irishgardeners article [broken link removed]

Hi, so just say having a large gathering outside and you want to keep midges away, should I buy lavender from a herb/health shop and rub it onto something on the table. Would this work do you think?

Hi, so just say having a large gathering outside and you want to keep midges away, should I buy lavender from a herb/health shop and rub it onto something on the table. Would this work do you think?

Or harvest leaves from those plants, place in a small netting bag which you can then hang in the open window.
Just give it a good squeezing every so often to release the scent.

I have such a bad mind! When I seen the name of the thread I thought it said getting rid of Midgets! Me thinks I need a coffee

eat buckets of garlic! an old army trick. they hate it and leave you alone apprently....lol

I got a net screen sort of thing from lidl which just sticks around the window frame, only 2-3 euro and it works a treat (you get 2 in a pack). It's handy for keeping the bedroom window open at night etc. not a single midge or insect gets in.

I have a huge infestation on my terrace that I just cannot shift. Out of frustration I sprayed them with anti-bacterial spray and a huge number of them dropped but then the swarm just seemed to double within 5 minutes. Any other tips?

I have such a bad mind! When I seen the name of the thread I thought it said getting rid of Midgets! Me thinks I need a coffee

And glasses

Neem oil, its great stuff. You get can oil, shampoo, soap . They have a website were you can buy the products online, would highly recomend the stuff, it works a treat