Getting quotations for windows. Questions

Johnny Boy

I just starting to look for quotations for windows for a new house and trying to think of questions to ask like u value and such. What I want to find out is what are like the five/six most important questions to ask the different window companies so that I can get balanced idea of what I be getting

Ask about their policy on replacing windows which are damaged. We got 8 windows from Munster Joinery. About 5 of them were scratched or damaged in some way, including the installers dropping one. The local service engineer organised to have them replaced and now one of the replacements is scratched. I talked with another of their service engineers who was involved and he said that he wouldn't have replaced our windows as "they don't replace scratched windows". We are in "negotiations" about replacing the replacement!!

Yes, U Value is important. The guarantee on the window profile, colour, handles, espags (locks) and friction hinges & the guarantee on the double glazed units.

If upstairs windows do they have restrictors and that the openings meet with fire regulations (changes about a mth ago).

Is there toughened glass to any windows where the glazing starts below 800mm off the ground and toughened to glazing below 1500mm in a door or door unit.

Is there steel in the window profile (very important - no way of knowing unless someone cuts a window)

Are the windows glazed internally or externally.

Always best to go on recommendations by someone that has actually used the supplier

Best of Luck

For the second time today thanks NHG. I seem to be making decissions about material etc for the new house every day and these post do help alot

Back