Getting mortgage where planning permission for extension is missing

thecat777

Hi, we are at the final stage of purchasing a house. the house has an extension that requires planning permission, unfortunately this was not obtained. However, we are proceeding with the purchase, our solicitor wrote to the bank explaining the situation and we are waiting to hear back. I am very anxious to see their response but it might take a few more days, so I decided to post here to see if anybody was in a similar situation. Please note, I am not looking for advice in relation to buying a house with planning issues, as I have already got advice from my solicitor, structural engineers etc. All I ask is has somebody been in similar situation and what was the bank's response. The extension was build in 2007, as per 2 different structural engineers, extension is not offensive to anybody, so there wont be a problem getting retention permission. Our lender is Finance Ireland. Final loan offer is received and signed, all other docs in order.

Many thanks

It really depends on the lender, and the specific case, but generally they're not keen to lend where there is a planning related qualification of title. It would help your case if there was supporting documents from engineers.

If retention will be so easy to get, the vendors should really do it.

The usual course of action would be to sign contracts subject to retention planning permission being obtained.

My house needed retention. Solicitor would not let me buy until the sellers sorted it.

It took 8 months - 4 months for retention and 4 for usual legals.

Back