Getting more signatories for cheques for elderly relative

Madra

I have got the HSE requirement to be her Care Representative for elderly mother. She is still reasonably compos mentos but I would like to make myself and my brother signotories for any cheques which she still relies on for any bills etc. Is this a simple procedure of getting a form from her bank or do I need to get ny writing pad out ? There would be no problem in her signing the form to allow this.

Why not set up direct debits? Save the hassle.
They are set up but it's purely legacy as the ma's not for changing when it comes to paying for a gift or for work carried out on the house.

What are you trying to do?

Do you want to be sole signatories on her bank account so you can spend her money without checking with her?

Or do you want to protect her from being scammed by making sure that one of you also signs the cheque?

While she is still compos mentis, you should consider the power of attorney route.

From a practical point of view of paying bills, adding one of the children to the account to make it a joint account, might be the easiest.

Brendan

Do you want to be sole signatories on her bank account so you can spend her money without checking with her?
Dont make me use the F word (Fianna Fail)
Or do you want to protect her from being scammed by making sure that one of you also signs the cheque?
Pretty much. I have a close relative who thinks she can just do what she likes to the house at my mother's expense. I want to have two independent family members who have the power to sign the cheques so she can't just go ahead and do what she likes without first consulting with people.

The Bank will accept a new mandate but are unlikely to accept one which requires two signatures on any cheque as it is to difficult to safely administer.

Suggest a mandate signed by the three of you with either one to sign cheques, that may provide you with the safeguard you are looking for.

Back