Getting electric/static shocks off....everything!

Z

Z100

There's a similar previous thread on this, except it only relates to getting shocks off cars - but depending on what shoes I'm wearing (I'm not kiddin'!!!) I get static-y shocks off everything! I even gave my brother a shock the other day when he was handing me a pen. And when I had to unplug my NTL digi box so shocking was the shock I thought I'd left most of Dublin without electricty.

Does anyone else suffer similar problems?

If yes: any solutions?

Thanks!

Re: Getting electric/static shocks off....everything!!

Change your clothes/shoes - that's generally a contributory factor. See here.

Re: Getting electric/static shocks off....everything!!

Change your clothes/shoes - that's generally a contributory factor. See here.

Thanks Clubman, interesting stuff. Needless to say my favourite (and most almost-respectable) pair of shoes are the ones that cause most trouble, so I always have to balance the desire to wear them with the fear of being electrocuted

One line in that Wiki entry stood out: "....a person simply walking across a carpet may build up a charge of many volts, enough to cause a spark a foot long or more. This type of discharge is usually harmless.....".

Usually??!!

It's usually harmless to the individual. It is often far from harmless to other things such as electronic devices!

Some ways to reduce it in this [broken link removed]

Excellent site, thank you, will study in the finest of detail! Love the letter from the husband of a woman who's experiencing the same as myself:

"I must admit to sort of turning a blind eye to it until she brushed past me in the bedroom and I got a hell of a belt from her....I suddenly decided to start seeking advice.....".

Well, you would, wouldn't you?

I found static more common on the Continent/U.S. than in Ireland. This is especially true during winter in these locations.
It would be one of the few advantages of the damp Irish environment.

I think low humidity can also contribute to the problem. I had the same problem from time to time in the US.

I have this problem too amd it is mainly at work that I am affected. I've given my poor colleagues some terrible shocks. I think it's probably because of the carpet. A friend of mine gave me an anti static strap (she had it from when she worked on a factory floor) which I wear around my ankle and it goes under the sole of my shoe. It works a dream for me. I have no idea where you could get one but maybe somebody else may have some idea.

You can get anti-static wristbands/straps in places like Maplin. Maybe Peats too. Or eBay. However it would probably be easier to just change your shoes.

You can get anti-static wristbands/straps in places like Maplin. Maybe Peats too. Or eBay. However it would probably be easier to just change your shoes.

Not neccessarily, I've had this problem for the last seven or eight years and I have changed my shoes a few times in that space of time

Tempted to get one of those wristbands - the ankle band might make me look like I'm out on parole.

Have thought about the shoes and really I'm getting (or giving?) shocks in all of then, it's just some are worse than others. Even got a shock from the kitchen tap last night....and I was in my socks.

Tempted to get one of those wristbands - the ankle band might make me look like I'm out on parole.
I think the solution above is to use the wristband as an ankle band thus grounding you as you walk and mitigating the risks of static shocks. Otherwise you would be going around trying to earth your wriststrap every few steps!
Have thought about the shoes and really I'm getting (or giving?) shocks in all of then, it's just some are worse than others. Even got a shock from the kitchen tap last night....and I was in my socks.
Try wellies?

Don't know the tech behind this, but I use the equivalent of 'bounce' sheets in the tumble drier and I find that really helps with static. Also if you are rolling a trolley around the supermarket ( a real villian for static), hold it by the plastic handle but keep one finger on the metal part which will allow continuous discharge and so static can't build up.

Don't know the tech behind this, but I use the equivalent of 'bounce' sheets in the tumble drier and I find that really helps with static.

Have often seen them advertised and never thought to try them, will do. Thanks.

Also if you are rolling a trolley around the supermarket, hold it by the plastic handle but keep one finger on the metal part which will allow continuous discharge and so static can't build up.

So that's what I was doing wrong - I was only ever holding the plastic handle, howling my way around the aisles as I kept getting shocks! Will keep one finger on the metal part from now on.

Try wellies?

I think I'd rather continue getting shocks than end up looking like Worzel Gummidge I've got a brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key.

The only time that I have this problem is in Dunne's Stores in Bishopstown. I was telling a friend and he told me that his young son will not go in to that shop because he has been so terrified by what happens to him there. He gets a shock whenever he touches anything there.
I believe that it is caused by their floor covering and they have tried to remedy it but have failed.