getting Brakes fixed

When you 'fixed' what do you mean - what is the problem? There are quite a few variants involved parts and labour wise (pads, discs etc etc)

When you 'fixed' what do you mean - what is the problem? There are quite a few variants involved parts and labour wise (pads, discs etc etc)

well I have to press pedal almost all the way down to brake and have been told this is not the norm as I am only first time driver had nothing to compare them to so thought this was the norm.

Firstly I'd advise pulling into the nearest garage or Kwik fit place for a quick check as the last thing you want is the brakes failing completely whie you are driving.

If you can't do that then park the car. It's too dangerous to be driving with faulty brakes

Unfortunately this has already happened but luckily enough it was ina quiet area and no-one was hurt.

No a peugeot 106

[broken link removed]

From honest john
1997 (March-Nov '96 build: 15,821 cars): ignition switch harness may foul on steering column. 1/2/2000: possibility that brake servo valve may not operate correctly resulting in loss of servo assistance. 18,405 cars recalled for inspection and possible replacement of brake servo valve. 21/2/1001: On 2000 106s brake pedal relay lever may fracture leading to loss of brakes. Relay levers to be replaced (See Citroen Saxo). 28/2/2002: On 106s with twin airbags, may be a fault in the airbag ECU. Cars recalled to have ECU electronically interrogated.

possible issues.

If its just the brake maser cylinder then depending on the garage 150-300 to repair

Just got a qutor for car to be fixed and it going to cost around 600 just to get it driveable , this doesnt include the cosmetics of it. Needs new radiator gone due to the little crash caused by the dodgy brakes.

Any views on what I should do with it???

If it's the part subject to a recall listed above- did you get recall notice?
If garage sold it to you, did they get notice and not bother getting work done?

Perhaps you could chase them.

On the other hand;
How long were brakes soft?
Did you keep up regular maintenance intervals?

Depending on year of vehicle, would it be more expensive for you to change car than get it mended? Outside the dealer network you could save substantially on repairs to this type of car.

Bought it from blok who works for garage. Not sure about the recall thing.

Latest update is that is will cost over a grand to fix all the bits bodywork included, am fully comp so hopefully insurance comp will stump up otherwise I was told not to bother.

look you have already had a little crash by driving with dodgy brakes.... so you seem to have been driving around with dodgy brakes for a while. please do us all a favour and fix this car or buy something else so we don't all get killed.

If you had fixed your brakes in the first place you wouldn't now have to fix the radiator.

What bodywork? bodywork caused by the same crash as the radiator?

If I was asked to spend a grand on this car I would go and buy something better instead. Something that has working brakes.

I was not aware that anything was wrong with brakes in the first place and would not intentionally drive around with dodgy brakes

To be fair to PGD1, and this is NOT aimed at foxylady specifically.....

What are people doing driving around in cars if they 'don't know' brakes were dodgy? It's something drivers in command of a vehicle should be aware of.

Pedal travel, hard pressing, noise from discs rubbing, stopping distances stretched out, warning light on dash, fluid in wheel well.....all indicators of brake trouble.

People should know condition of their cars and should maintain them in the correct roadworthy condition.

No point saying - thought the fact it wouldn't stop was normal....

Lights, tyre pressre, oil levels, coolant, brakes, seatbelts, al basic checks every motorist should carry out regularly - don't need to be a mechanic for these. Amazing how many people don't.

In case of my own car car always stopped before this incident but have always had to put break down further that is the norm in other cars (was not aware of this until recently as first time driving and thought that this was normal for age of car especially as had been fully serviced nct'd etc.