Getting a US dollar denominated mortgage to buy property in Ireland or Europe

george.shaw

I believe that once the US comes out of the current deflationary spiral, the creation of trillions of dollars will lead to virulent inflation and potentially hyperinflation as wanred by David McWilliams.

Thus borrowing in US dollar denominated debt and buying assets denominated in Euros, Yen and Swiss francs would be a good strategy as your repayments would fall dramatically and you would get a yield in the more valuable currency.

Does anyone know of a mortage provider (either in Ireland or internationally) that might be able to organise a US dollar denominated mortgage to buy property in Ireland, Europe or Switzerland?

This is a reverse of the dangerous carry trade where people got loans denominated in safe Swiss francs and bought properties denominated in risky Eastern european and baltic currencies - a disastruous strategy which backfired as I expected.

Any information or a nod in the right direction would be greatly appreciated?

george.shaw

I went to my bank last Aug. and asked to change my mortgage to sterling. I think the lady I talked to taught I was mad. Have you talked to your bank?

I believe that once the US comes out of the current deflationary spiral, the creation of trillions of dollars will lead to virulent inflation and potentially hyperinflation as wanred by David McWilliams.

Thus borrowing in US dollar denominated debt and buying assets denominated in Euros, Yen and Swiss francs would be a good strategy as your repayments would fall dramatically and you would get a yield in the more valuable currency.

Does anyone know of a mortage provider (either in Ireland or internationally) that might be able to organise a US dollar denominated mortgage to buy property in Ireland, Europe or Switzerland?

This is a reverse of the dangerous carry trade where people got loans denominated in safe Swiss francs and bought properties denominated in risky Eastern european and baltic currencies - a disastruous strategy which backfired as I expected.

Any information or a nod in the right direction would be greatly appreciated?

why not just get a normal mortgage and use another instrument to sell the dollar/hedge your investment? (i.e. Eur/USD Spread betting with a basic Worldspreads Account etc.)

Spread betting is highly leveraged speculation (part of the reason we are in this terrible financial mess) and only a tiny fraction of people will make money spread betting in the current climate.

I am talking to Multi Currency Mortages and will see and let u know.

Back