Getting a phone line into a house

Damo

I've had a request to have a land line installed in a house I rent out. the house is 2 years old. A person from Eircom who came to the house told me that the cable was not extended into the house and looked blankly when I asked if he could do this. He suggested contacting the management company - which I did but they had never heard of this before. I've tried ringing the builders but the phone rings out and no voice mail!
Can anyone advise me how i get a line into the house. I'm happy to get this done but don't have a clue where to go. I would have assumed Eircom wasd a good start but yet again...

Thanks in advance.
Damo.

usually when a house is built provision is made by the builder for services like power,water and phone line or tv line,are you in a built up area or rural? if in a suburb, cable usually comes in underground duct that builder has left,for the service,otherwise theres some digging to be done.

Thanks hopalong.

This is in a new estate so I would have assumed that the line was connected to the house. Who would normally do this work?

the builder normally leaves a duct from a position outside(serving a few houses)to your house,into a plastic type box built into the wall of your house.a piece of rope is left in the duct ,and your phone provider pulls in the cable on the rope.thats normally the case.

Damo,
Sorry to ask the obvious question but is there a telephone socket in the house?
Is there a little white box on teh outside of the house maybe below the ESB meter point, this is where the eircom line enters the house,?
Maybe the Eircom guy wasn't interested and didn't look too hard!

Like the other poster said new houses are usually prewired in advance, and if this is the case it is just a question of plugging in a phone and ringing eircom, I think the number is 1901. They will set you up there and then over the phone, with the line active after an hour or so.

I've had a request to have a land line installed in a house I rent out.

Slightly off topic but are you sure you want the hassle of a land line with looking after of bill etc. If previous tenants have managed for two years without one it wouldn't appear to be a necessity. Most people these days appear to be ditching their land lines because of a few mobiles in each house.

Thanks Hopalong and Patspost.

The eircom guy did say that the line had to be pulled through to the house but gave the line that that wasn't their job. If your saying it is there job I'll go back to eircom! Good old eircom!!

thanks.

We had the same problem when we renovated our house. Everything was in situ except for bringing the cable through from ourside. Eircom engineer arrived, said 'no luv, don't want to mess with your nice plaster, can you get your builder to drill the hole through?'. Our builder was very obliging, did the necessary, but pointed out that this is typical of Eircom & that it's part of what they have to do.

Camlink

Slightly off topic but are you sure you want the hassle of a land line with looking after of bill etc. If previous tenants have managed for two years without one it wouldn't appear to be a necessity. Most people these days appear to be ditching their land lines because of a few mobiles in each house.
I'd agree with this. With the various packages available on mobiles it would seem superfluous ......... unless it's in a bad reception area.

This is in a new estate so I would have assumed that the line was connected to the house. Who would normally do this work?

Is there another provider that you can use for the phone? For example, a lot of new developments are pre-wired for Magnet TV & broadband. They also provide landlines.

Damo, in my extensive experience on this eircom pull in the cable when the developer has left the duct with the pull rope installed. eircom normally do this site work before the occupiers move in.

eircom fit a telephone socket with eircom embossed on it and connect the cable to it.

Check if your installed socket has an eircom logo on the front. Perhaps it is the type the electricians supply and in this case would appear eircom have not been there. If you have an eircom socket unscrew it, if you are handy, and check if there is a cable, usually black, coming into it.

Thanks for the replies.

Everyone seems to say it's Eircom's job to pull the line into the house and connect it. sounds simple!
I spent an hour on the phone to Eircom yesterday and two hours this morning trying to explain this. I've spoken at length to about eight different people including supervisors. The basic problen is that they are totally disjointed from the technicains. The best I got was someone in Cork sending an email to the technicians!! They don't have a number for the technicians - or else i'd ring them myself. Surley someone is in charge!!

Any suggestion please - I'm trying to stay calm!

run a telephone cable,you can buy this in the likes of B and Q,run this from outside of the house to inside where you want the socket,telecom will connect to the cable outside and will fit a socket at the other end inside.

Back