Get your EB (car+trailer) learner permit before 4 April 2011

Betsy Og

as otherwise you'll be stuck with the new Car Driver Training "Essential Driver Training" (EDT) regime of 12 lesons of 1 hr.

Same applies if you are a new learner (though in that case at least the training would be of benefit to you).

To get the permit in time you'll need to do the Driver Theory Test (unless you did one for the B licence) so not a moment to spare. Also you need the full B before can go for EB. Picked mine up today. Have to wait 6 months to take the test.

Can you quote any source which states that it applies to EB as well as to B.
I was almost certain, that obligatory lessons apply only to B and A category (A from last December).

PS. You don't need to wait 6 months for you EB test.

The 6 months wait is a definite, its down as an endorsement on my permit (which tallies with a telephone enquiry I'd made to Ballina), and the description of the categories to which it applies specifically says EB.

The compulsory lessons I was told at the tax office, so maybe they're not fully correct. As its an "off-beat" issue its hard to get good info on it.

I just notice that there's a further endorsement on my learner permit - that I must be accompanied by a fully qualified driver (EB presumably, since I've already a full B myself)- what a joke, given the number of full EB holders its just unrealistic.

So, given the way they apply the rules, unless I saw it written on an official document that EDT (12hrs training) does not apply to EB, then I think the wiser course of action is to get the permit before 4 April.