Get sound clip off Vodafone phone to PC in usable form

RainyDay

I recorded a great giggle from my little girl onto my Vodafone mobile, but I'm struggling find a way to get it onto my PC in a usuable form. If I use the 'send as MMS, send to email' function, I get a HTML-style email with lots of Vodafone graphics which seems to include the sound clip somewhere in the body of the email. Each time I open the email, I hear the clip - but I can't seperate the sound clip from the rest of the email & save it as a sound file.

Any ideas?

Hi RainyDay, try this:

Assuming your using Outlook to read the mail, open the email in question and choose "File..Save As" and save the .htm file somewhere.

This will let you view the source easily and you can find the link to the sound file in the HTML code (it will either be stored directly in the mail itself or on a Vodafone server somewhere) - look for ".wav" or ".mp3" in the code.

If you're not up to digging in the code send me a PM and I should be able to dig the file our for you

If that does not work there are many freeware packages that will record whatever is playing on your PC (people often use them to record internet radio streams etc.).

Its been many years since I used it but one such program is Total Recorder, see http://www.highcriteria.com/, it will limit you to 60 secs in the trial version but if it isn't a long giggle that may be enough.

If your fone is a nokia with bluetooth (or irda), you can download Nokia PC Suite and pick up the file as a .wav file. Brilloiant for backing up your fone as well & managing your address book.

BlueSpud said:
If your fone is a nokia with bluetooth (or irda), you can download Nokia PC Suite and pick up the file as a .wav file. Brilloiant for backing up your fone as well & managing your address book.

Motorola has similar software - PhoneTools.

I think Sony Ericsson has as well. In fact on Sony Ericsson, if you plug in the USB cable to your computer, you should be able to access the phone memory as an external hard disk.

Thanks all for your suggestions and thanks Spock for your offline efforts.

Bluespud - Even though I'm reasonably technically compentent, I've failed in repeated efforts to hook up mobile phones to PC's by irda over the years. I got the Nokia suite installed, and seemed to get connections to my phone from time to time, but I could never get it to work consistently.

Dam099 - Your 'total recorder' did the trick for me. Thanks again.

Thread-jack alert

I have a (sort of) related question. Does anybody know how to save an O2 voicemail to PC? I received a hilarious vm from a drunken friend late last night and I would like to share it with the world. I used to be a Vodafone customer and I know you can do this on their website but I can't for the life of me find a similar function on o2.ie??

A note of caution - The Total Recorder program interferes with iTunes. Or to be more specific, iTunes degrades the quality of it's sound output to the extent that you really can't listen to it when Total Recorder is present.

I had installed a new version of iTunes and I thought the problem was related to that, but I found that removing of Total Recorder cleared the problem.