Get a Solicitors quote "for a sale" AND "non-sale"....

Thanks guys for the feedback

newtothis
you understand completely the message I wanted to convey.

Creamegg,
Ditto. Also, thanks a million for the info on Section 68. Invaluable info that will be put to good use. I've already checked out the link, but will go through it in more detail when I get time. Thank You.

S.Barret.
It wasn't commission, it was a fixed fee for a specific task that wasn't done, no one is blaming no one, Ce La Vie. 3 parties spent time doing work on the task to hand but you feel only the solicitor is obliged to be paid for work done. I disagree. The agent nor I were paid. It wasn't what I was told that was the problem, it was what I wasn't told..... I don't think I'd have a snowballs chance in hell sending the legal bill to the agent but I like your thinking. I want to pay the solicitor a fair amount that satisfies both because they were good but who just pays any figure on the back of a piece of paper with no breakdown or prior knowledge. We'll definitely work this out no problem.

T.McGibney
Thanks for throwing caution to the wind and the constructive criticism. I understand your input was for the right reason albeit a little heated. We nearly had a boiled creamegg LOL:). Sometimes where there is heat there's light. In this case it was worth the argument. I get from you post that despite the obligation of the S68 it can be circumvented leaving a wedge in your agreement for exploitation by Solicitors. Buyer beware, duly noted .

Galway Blowin
I believe sharing personal experience is the backbone of the forum. Yours struck a cord with me. Despite the reduction of 3 to 2k I'll try negotiate a further reduction as there was no sale. I'll suggest paying him 1,500 which was a quote for a sale despite no sale but work was done and yes, it needs to be paid. I was told the second and third sale attempts were just name and amount changes in all fairness.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks guys for the feedback

newtothis
you understand completely the message I wanted to convey.

Creamegg,
Ditto. Also, thanks a million for the info on Section 68. Invaluable info that will be put to good use. I've already checked out the link, but will go through it in more detail when I get time. Thank You.

S.Barret.
It wasn't commission, it was a fixed fee for a specific task that wasn't done, no one is blaming no one, Ce La Vie. 3 parties spent time doing work on the task to hand but you feel only the solicitor is obliged to be paid for work done. I disagree. The agent nor I were paid. It wasn't what I was told that was the problem, it was what I wasn't told..... I don't think I'd have a snowballs chance in hell sending the legal bill to the agent but I like your thinking. I want to pay the solicitor a fair amount that satisfies both because they were good but who just pays any figure on the back of a piece of paper with no breakdown or prior knowledge. We'll definitely work this out no problem.

T.McGibney
Thanks for throwing caution to the wind and the constructive criticism. I understand your input was for the right reason albeit a little heated. We nearly had a boiled creamegg LOL:). Sometimes where there is heat there's light. In this case it was worth the argument. I get from you post that despite the obligation of the S68 it can be circumvented leaving a wedge in your agreement for exploitation by Solicitors. Buyer beware, duly noted .

Galway Blowin
I believe sharing personal experience is the backbone of the forum. Yours struck a cord with me. Despite the reduction of 3 to 2k I'll try negotiate a further reduction as there was no sale. I'll suggest paying him 1,500 which was a quote for a sale despite no sale but work was done and yes, it needs to be paid. I was told the second and third sale attempts were just name and amount changes in all fairness.

I'll let you know how I get on.

dont make the mistake of being too humble with this guy , solicitors ( like many who worked in sheltered sectors ) fancy themselves rotten yet most of them are very average at what they do in my experience , anything which isnt pure vanilla in terms of contracts makes them all queasy , ive dealt with close to ten solicitors in my lifetime and only one made an impression on me and struck me as being very talented , the rest were mostly routine card stampers with one complete incompetent thrown in for good measure

my sister is an associate at a major firm in dublin but has told me that at her old firm ( small firm ) , they would never chase someone for a relatively small sum of money so hang tough and get him too pull in his horns , they are usually hard headed pragmatists who wont follow someone on principal

Thanks Galway blow_in.

Delighted to have your feedback. Your post helped me muster up a bit more courage for a further reduction. I was almost about to settle on 2k out of a feeling of pure obligation but the reality was I couldn't actually afford it. We agreed on the figure of a sale even though one didn't happen (reduction of a further 500, thanks mate). i didn't want to bite off more than I could chew.

p.s. you are absolutely right. Most of them are just rubber stampers. Don't care about challenging the status quo, just workflow type stuff, that's been my experience anyway.

Now to talk to the lender and tell them the bad news, I'm in massive arrears.

I learned a whole lot from this experience, EVERYTHING IS UP FOR NEGOTIATION.

Thanks to all you folks who replied. :)

If they charge a percentage of the sale price eg. 1.5% and there is no sale then 1.5% of zero = zero.
If you are not happy contact the Law Society, a few years ago I had a solicitor that made a rite hash of it and the LS knocked @€1,700 of the bill

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I will shortly be selling a house. Is it better to wait until contracts are near signing before engaging a solicitor. My estate agent is pestering me for my solicitors details even though the house hasn't gone up for sale yet

@Saavy99
I engaged solicitor just before house was listed for sale. That way they requested title deeds from bank, and had them before we went sale agreed.
When I was buying, as I wanted quick sale I specifically asked agents who vendor solicitor was. It's something some agents put on the brochure.

But talk to your solicitor, and agree what they will charge if you don't agree a sale. There's very little work up to then.

Red onion
Thanks for that. I own the house outright and the title is clean so the sale should be straightforward. I don't think I need the services of my solicitor until the sale is agreed.

Back