Germany World Cup: Gelsenkirchen

P

PaddyCorry

Anyone know where is a good place to stay around the Gelsenkirchen/Dusseldorf/Cologne area in Germany? Four of us are heading over for the World Cup in June, and are going to a few games in Gelsenkirchen. Just wondering where would be the best place to set up a base. We are looking at staying in Cologne, but are unsure about public transport to/from Gelsenkirchen. Also, anyone know anything about Gelsenkirchen in particular: one to avoid or a nice German town? Any info appreciated, thanks.

You can get a good price from Good Sleep Hotel in Cologne, they're cheap, cenrtal and friendly.

Otherwise you might try staying in somewhere a little further away like Osnabruck or soemwhere like that.

Hasn't Christy Moore got a song about Joxer heading to Stuttgard for Euro '88?

Indeed Biran, but remember what landed on Joxer's doorstep 9 months later!!!

Ah well someone has to keep the teachers in the cushy jobs.

Re world cup, I don't think there'll be the same euphoria as 1988........Irish supporters staying everywhere.

PaddyCorry & Gang won't have currency exchange issues. Plus things should be easier to research now with internet access.

Hav ah goot time.

I have tickets for one of the England games in Frankfurt (I've two tickets in all) and it should be great. When I lived in Germany I was a regular in G Block in the Waldstadion, now the stadium is unrecognisable and very American in design (but good views), still progress is progress (still not a patch on Croker though!)