Geothermal on Rocky Ground

kilros

Hi

I am in the process of building a house in Roscommon and would like to go with the Geothermal Energy option with UFH. The ground floor is block layed at the moment.

The site however is very rocky, it took ages for the foundations to be dug. I've heard that the Geothermal option doesn't work too well through rocky ground, seemingly there isn't sufficient heat and that the heat pump would have to do more and be on for longer to get the required temperature to run the UFH. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, is it even possible to install the geothermal system in rocky ground?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar problem?

If I can't get this installed I'll have to go with the Wood Pellet system...

You could go with the borehole option instead. Best to get an installer to have a look and decide for you.

Bore hole is adding more expense to the system, but get an installer to check first, if you can trust them and get an unbiased view!!! Better to get the advice of someone who has installed a bore hole. I would consider the wood pellet option. We have installed a wood pellet system and are very happy so far. Optimistic

Rocky ground is not the best for geothermal. In order for the collector area to work it needs soil. Rock, water is no good. I fear that my ground might be too waterlogged but then again i will not know until it is tested by whatever geothermal supplier i go with. Borehole - yes it is more expensive depending on how deep you have to go - if you went with the borehole the grant will give you around 6000 whereas if you went with horizontal it is around 4200 and if your convinced on geothermal i would go down this route.

Wood Pellet - i keep very open mind on this but so far the facts and figures i consistenly come across concerning this energy source has rebuked me. Yes it sounds great but costs are not great. Might be cheaper in the future but not convinced. Buying bulk pellets yes it is cheaper. But by the bag no.

If you could not go for geothermal i would be more inclined to go for an oil condensing burner. This is the option im more inclined to go for until i come across a better energy source. Just my opinion.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.