Geothermal heating setup

Guju121

I am planning to put a geothermal heat pump with UFH and was wondering how big a room would I need to fit the heat pump + all the manifolds etc.
There is a hot press in my plans at the moment which it 2400mm x 1500mm.
My plummer thinks this room may be too small, so I would like some feedback from people who have install this system themselves

My UFH room is 2m wide, by 1.5m deep, and is more then big enough. The footprint of the heatpump should be around 600mm square, and the HWC cyclinder would be about a diameter of 600mm.

Guys

if planning UFH in conjunction with Geothermal - does this have to be situated in a room (hotpress/designated room) within the house. Can thsi be in a garage outside - or what is best practice?

My plummer didn't think putting the heat pump in the garage was suitable. His preference was to put it in it's own room somewhere in the house ( doesn't have to be on external wall ). This room can be used as a Hot Press

As far I understand the heat pump can be in the garage or close enough to the house but the manifold or 2 manifolds in the case of a 2 storey with UFH should be located as far as possible in the centre of the house - sort of like a spider's web. The rationale being that the circuit from each manifold should not have to travel too far to its intended destination. The circuits have a finite length after which the water cools. If the manifold is located to the side of a house you may have to have more circuits than necessary to heat rooms/areas on the other side of the house.

Not good practice to have the heat pump outside, means that the heat has longer to travel to the mainfolds incurring heat loss and more time spent running the cirulation pump.

I wud be have the same footprint of about 2m * 1.5m. In the space between the HP and tank which holds the expansion tank, I have build shelving for all the recylcing containers.

Back