Geothermal GSHP and UFH Systems

P

phaictan

Hi,

I am trying to make up my mind between 3 geothermal companies for a new build and each has a slightly different system, so comparing apples with apples is difficult.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the companies and/or systems and could give me some useful info for making a decision.

The companies are:

Climate Control - Heliotherm GSHP and Gabotherm UFH
Nutherm - Waterkotte GSHP and Nutherm UFH
Environmental Installations Ltd (EIL) - NIBE GSHP and Unipipe UFH

We are also considering adding in Heat Recovery Ventilation as well, so any experiences of this would also be welcome.

Cheers

PT.

Hi
I have just limped for climate control on the following reasons...
1. research.. contacted a number of people that installed heliotherm heat pump (GSHP)who have had a good result. electricity bills very reasonable. i am renting at the moment in a 3yr old house andf already on second oil tank... @ 700euro a tank
2. climate control install the underfloor at 100mm spacing and with their own 25mm specified insulation on top of what i have installed. they thav taken their design from proven austrain and german meethods.
3. heliotherm are around a long time and im hoping they are ahead of the game. i have opted for the CO2 system
4. internet research over the past year, has led me to rule out a number of heat pumps. you have to be careful what the suppliers are rating their system, 0/35 4/35 etc etc
5. finally for the size of my house the 15KW heat pump suits my needs comfortably

im hoping it all works out.. i had changed my mind and priced oil and solar. after getting the prices it just didnt add up.. the prices i got for oil and solar against geothermal (both with UFH) only had a couple of thousand difference.. there were other complications such as triple coil tanks etc.. so i went back to climate control you can PM me if you need any details

I guess you've made up your mind to go for GSHP, but on other posts about this there are interesting suggestions on what you could achieve by investing the cost of GSHP into making your house passive. You are already fitting HRV and you may find that your heat requirements would never justify the capital cost of GSHP.

It is ironic that many of the houses installing state of the art heating systems require very little heat, while the breeze-block monstrosities are using oil.

Even if you don't go passive, you may find that a very small pellet or wood stove would meet your needs.

But assuming you have made up your mind, regardless of who you ruin with, GSHP with UFH has a slow enough response time and works on the basis of keeping your house warm all day long while you are out at work. You often get another top-up in the evening to keep the house warm for the night. That top-up happens at a time of peak consumption when wholesale electricity prices can peak at 25c. When smart metering penalises this time slot with a retail price of 40c or 50c, it will be problematic. I would consider a large buffer tank which ensured that all of the heat requirements can happen off peak at night.

I Have a NIBE fsystem and UFH system and very happy with it, it was lovely to walk into a lovely warm house, take off your shoes and walk on a lovely warm floor during the recent cold snap, would def recommend UFH.
If you are going for a HRV, then i would agree with the above paste about need for GSHP and the need for UFH upstairs..this would be a big saving in capital cost.
Key to any heating system working well is the insulation you are using, insulate to the hilt and reap the savings

Back