Geothermal - direct or indirect

M

Moss

Hi, I am starting a new build of a 2,000 square ft. house shortly. I am currently researching geothermal heating and I have requested a site visit from two companies to ascertain the suitability of the site and the ground.

However, I have found that there are two types of heatpumps - direct evaporation (refrigerant) and indirect evaporation (water and antifreeze). The direct appears to be the most efficent giving a higher COP (coefficient of performance) or heat factor. I am told that it doesnt require a circulaton pump and avoids a heat exchanger - saving electricty. It brings water up to 90degrees C - (above legionaires disease - 60/70 degrees C) avoiding the need of an electric emersion and is cheaper to install using up less ground space requirement than indirect heat pump.

Has anybody got any knowledge on this and also, what comeback do I have if the system does not work - I understand CoP should be at 4, but not under 3.5. If it is under 3.5 how can I tell. If the system is not working properly is it too late after its installed to fix it?

As I said, I am organising site inspections - but the company will only gain by telling me the site is fine!!

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the above.

Hi,

I would very much appreciate any views at all on this please as its coming close to crunch time.

Thank you.

Back