George Lee

dewdrop

Not a word yet about George entering politics and his noble reasons for doing so

He should be a good addition to the Dail (and FG). There's not that many of them in there that know the first thing about economics.
The guy they have in Berties constituency who used to work for P&G looks geed as well. He will make a change from another lawyer, teacher or career politician as he has actually worked in the real world of business.

I have to say I admire him. He is giving up a secure job and going into politics.

I think he will walk into the seat if selected by FG (I am assuming he has gotten some kind of guarentee from Enda about selection) but it is still a risk.

At least he is prepared to walk the walk.

Not a word yet about George entering politics and his noble reasons for doing so

Yeah. He's coming across a bit pious alright. He's only short of saying his country needs him and he's willing to make the sacrifice but at least he's willing to give it a whirl. He'd be a good (if angry) addition.

I donno that he is taking a big risk. As you said he is a shoe in so will have a brillant salary/pension after 5 seconds or whatever it it.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a great addition to FG and you have to hand it to them for getting him..

I wish him the best as I reckon he has the best of intentions , far higher than the usual crowd that are going for it.
Hope he gets it because this country needs a new breed away from the teacher/solicitor/civil servant and hopefully George will be the start of proper leaders stepping up ,
BTW no fan of FG, but they seem to have a few good individuals

I don't think FG are much better/different to FF so I wouldn't normally have voted for them however If I were in the Dublin South constituency and could vote for George Lee I certainly would as he talks sense and says it as it is. I think we really need politicians who have a proven track record in a particular area and are not just chosen because their da/uncle whatever was a TD. I have no confidence whatsoever in social workers/teachers/accountants etc running the country. I want experts.

The guy they have in Berties constituency who used to work for P&G looks geed as well. He will make a change from another lawyer, teacher or career politician as he has actually worked in the real world of business.

Senator Paschal Donohue, indeed he is a very good candidate and will probably win the seat.

Gotta question if there was a conflict of interest there all along - he really talked down FF - then he goes and joins FG!

He could certainly talk the talk, question now is, can he walk the walk? As an ordinary TD,(if elected), he'll be expected to toe the party line and perhaps agree with policies that he may think are wrong. Also I'd be very curious to see where he stands on social issues, not just econonic ones, more to being a politician then pure economics

Still, it'll be interesting to see how he square up against Brian Lenihan in the Dail. Bit of a gamble by Kenny as well, with George's economic background, he could make a good finance spokesman if Richard Bruton fancied a coup after the elections

Gotta question if there was a conflict of interest there all along - he really talked down FF - then he goes and joins FG!

He really talked down FF because they were in power for the last 10+ years...makes sense really.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what he will be like but I have to say I admire him. Its very easy for people to stay outside the political system moaning and complaining. Good to see someone who is willing to try and actually do something about it. I think we all knew where he stood with regard to the Government's handling of the economy but I never felt he was anti-Fianna Fail.

Could be interesting if Seamus Brennan's son decides to run. Will be real test to see if this Country has given up on parochical politics i.e. Your dad was a great man so you must be too........

Could be interesting if Seamus Brennan's son decides to run. Will be real test to see if this Country has given up on parochical politics i.e. Your dad was a great man so you must be too........

In fairness, young Brennan could be a very competent politician for all we know,

George is a racing certainty. He's opposed to Individualisation, which is an issue which vexes me greatly. A few years hence when Enda has move on and Richard is Toiseach, George will be a capable finance minister.

In fairness, young Brennan could be a very competent politician for all we know,

Could well be but thats not why FF want him as their candidate. They simply want the Brennan name on the ballot paper. I know FG are kind of doing the same with Lee but without knowing young Bennans qualifications, I would be more comfortable voting for someone like George Lee, a trained economist than someone who simply has a good name.

Its time for a change in politics. Bring in people with qualifications and experience. For example, why is a Barrister running our Department of Finance? A social worker responsible for trade and enterprise? I think the Country will be much better off if more people did what George Lee did. Of course he could prove to be useless!!

George is a racing certainty. He's opposed to Individualisation, which is an issue which vexes me greatly. A few years hence when Enda has move on and Richard is Toiseach, George will be a capable finance minister.

Now that's confidence for you! Been to Paddy Power yet?

I say fair play to George Lee and I think he will be a great addition to Irish politics. He is articulate, informed and will be a strong voice for FG. I would be interested though to see if Paddy Powers will take bets on him leaving FG and running as an Independent at some point in the future though - I can't see him toeing the party line if an issue arises that goes against textbook economic principles...

God no, the system will corrupt his princicples like everyone else! Let the civil service at him and his ideas for 'change'!

Lest we all forget. Here is some of his thoughts from Summer 2006: [broken link removed]