Genuine Oil Painting

susie1

Just wondering what the characteristics of a gen oil painting are. i bought one off ebay and i love it, but i'm not sure if its real or screen printed, how do i tell.
i didn't spend a fortune on it, 25e del included.

thanks

An oil painting I dont think has glass on it - It shouldn't and if it does you'd know by the texture that it is oil...

Views differ as to whether oil paintings should be put behind glass. It's just a matter of taste really. A couple of years ago I had a number of oil paintings re-framed and was asked if I wanted them behind glass. When I thought about it, I did as it would save on getting them cleaned again (they were in the kitchen/family room area). Oil usually has a texture (not always) as pinkyBear says. Some artists make it thick with paint and others don't. Why don't you bring it in to a local gallery?

it was only the picture i got, it has not been framed yet.
when i look at it, i can see the canvas bumps and ridges underneath, but it kind of looks like it was painted on with a roller, if you know what i mean.

i will bring it to get framed and i guess i'll find out then. the paint is not thick on it.

As an amateur oil painter the only advice I could give is that any oil painter selling their work for €25 incl del sounds very badly off. I would agree with other posters that it's likely a canvas print.

On the glass issue, an exhibition at the Crawford in Cork of the former Great Southern Hotels Art collection has most I believe behind glass and these include some wonderful McGuinness' and McGonigals. Glass or not does not of itself mean that the painting is or isn't oil.

Back