Genetic test results not admissable

portboy

Can somebody throw any light on why insurance companies are not permitted under law from taking into account the results of genetic testing, and in particular negative tests. I can understand why a positive test may not be considered (could be considered unfair to the applicant) but they are also prohibited from taking into account the result from a test if it was Negative. Seems a little bizarre to me, as I would have thought confirmation that you do not have a particular gene defect would be a good sign. Anyone any idea why this is ?

Wouldn't allowing positive tests to be used have the same net effect. The insurance companies could simply set an outragously high base price, and allow substantial discounts for those who produce positive tests. Some further details are available from [broken link removed]

Genetic testing (sections 41–45)
This Part provides safeguards for the use of information obtained from genetic testing.
The provisions aim to ensure that people who may be affected by genetic disorders
will not be subject to any unreasonable requirements from an employer or an
insurance or mortgage provider. The protections provided are in addition to the
substantial safeguards for the use of personal information contained in the Data
Protection Acts. These new safeguards will be reviewed no later than 2014.
The safeguards provide that –
· genetic testing may only take place with a person’s consent, in accordance
with the Data Protection Acts
· the results of a genetic test can’t be used in relation to insurance, a mortgage, a
personal pension or employment
· the person being tested must be made aware of the intended use of the test
results and must, as far as possible, be informed about the possible outcomes
of the test
· the use of a person’s family history for insurance purposes may be regulated
by the Minister after consultation with other relevant Ministers, the Data
Protection Commissioner and other interested bodies or groups.

Wouldn't allowing positive tests to be used have the same net effect. The insurance companies could simply set an outragously high base price, and allow substantial discounts for those who produce positive tests. Some further details are available from [broken link removed]

Genetic testing (sections 41–45)
This Part provides safeguards for the use of information obtained from genetic testing.
The provisions aim to ensure that people who may be affected by genetic disorders
will not be subject to any unreasonable requirements from an employer or an
insurance or mortgage provider. The protections provided are in addition to the
substantial safeguards for the use of personal information contained in the Data
Protection Acts. These new safeguards will be reviewed no later than 2014.
The safeguards provide that –
· genetic testing may only take place with a person’s consent, in accordance
with the Data Protection Acts
· the results of a genetic test can’t be used in relation to insurance, a mortgage, a
personal pension or employment
· the person being tested must be made aware of the intended use of the test
results and must, as far as possible, be informed about the possible outcomes
of the test
· the use of a person’s family history for insurance purposes may be regulated
by the Minister after consultation with other relevant Ministers, the Data
Protection Commissioner and other interested bodies or groups.

Sorry if this is off topic but I think its closely related to the main issue.

Whats' the situation with aids tests ?*When I was investigating the Royal Liver*life*assurance endowment policy about 5 years ago; I have a hazy memory*of seeing some*question like 'have you ever been tested for aids'*.

Can someone throw any light on questions such as those ? Its' the responsible thing to have check ups. Why should being tested*go*against*someone*?*Or*am*I*taking*this*question*the*wrong*way*?*:confused:

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

It won't automatically go against you if you tell a life assurance company that you have been tested for AIDS, so long as the result of any test has been negative. In fact, some companies have now refined the question to "have you been tested positive..."

Back