General Election 2020 Predictions

Is he suggesting a FF/SF coalition so? Or the status quo only FF and FG swap places?

He didn't go that far in terms of formation of the government, he said he went constituency by constituency looking at who he thought would get the seats. Probably the difference with Paddy Power is they may be going on national polls primarily.

Greens 11/10 to get fewer than 10 seats is tempting. I backed FG/SF (about 18 months ago) but that's looking forlorn now.

If this were to happen, which would FF go for? Coalition with SF would be a hard sell to FF members but it would give them a chance to govern with a majority. Would SF be willing to take the risk of being the junior partner given recent experiences of junior partners?
Or would they prefer to operate in a minority government by just swapping places with FG?
I'm sure there will be plenty of airtime taken up discussing all of this over the coming weeks!

I reckon that FG, in particular, and FF will saddle up with anyone, except maybe each other. They both just hope that the SF numbers make them superfluous.

There's something like 8-10 sitting FG TDs retiring coming into this election. Given the incumbency factor in our multi-seat constituencies that could be a big factor in the predictions from Yates.

Yates' FG prediction mightn't be far off. There is a strong anger out there towards FG and to Leo in particular. I've been really surprised at some of the people whom I've spoken to recently and who brought up how they cannot wait to see the back of them

Last edited:
@Delboy that's true, the problem for Fianna fail is that if they get elected they will be just in time for the next recession, then they will have to deal with all that negativity again. They will be the ones again that will have to reign in the spending

To be brutally honest Joe, I only ever wish all things bad on FF. A virus in the body politic for the past 80 odd years in this country.
And as for reigning in spending, we can only hope that day comes sooner rather than later and that it's an Irish Govt doing it and not a new version of the Troika

FF pedigree in terms of all things financial is pretty poor. From Haughey to Ahern to Cowen, their record is not one to be proud of. After having to call in the IMF we are only now beginning (that's starting, for FF and SF supporters) to see the economy get back to where it should be. The "lost" decade has had an impact.

@Delboy that's true, the problem for Fianna fail is that if they get elected they will be just in time for the next recession, then they will have to deal with all that negativity again. They will be the ones again that will have to reign in the spending
They are the ones who let spending run out of control in the decade running up to the last recession. Massive and unsustainable increases in public sector pay, pensions and welfare which were the major contributors to our current national debt of over 200 billion euro. How on earth can anyone want those populist morons back in power committing economic treason?

I'm with you on that Purple. The problem for FG I think is that both Eoghan Murphy and Simon Harris were gambles which have failed. I think both are hugely unpopular (mind you Charlie Flanagan has done his best to included in that list recently!). Given that it will be either FF or FG next time around then people will rightly be asking do I want to risk these two back at the helm again - even if the alternative is FF.

FF pedigree in terms of all things financial is pretty poor. From Haughey to Ahern to Cowen, their record is not one to be proud of.

One sided nonsense. This type of political discourse where the good in the other side cannot be admitted is futile.

Allowing Ryanair to develop, the IFSC, attracting multinationals and FDI, there is much to the good in the FF economic record.

Driving around a bit at the weekend, one thing that was very obvious was the lack of posters for local FG candidates and instead line after line of Leo's face. FG seem to be running a Presidential style campaign and it will be interesting to see what happens if they forget the old adage that "all politics is local"

FG seem to have gone all-in on Leo right enough but according to the Sunday Times he quietly reactivated various perks for former Taoisigh. So he's not taking anything for granted, except those perks.

Back