gearbox problem

lyonsa3

Can anybody tell me the cost of getting a gearbox replaced, I've a focus (2001) and 5th gear seems to be sticky. As i'm planning to sell the car in 2 months would be better off to keep driving it until then. I can get it into 5th but not as smooth as other gears.
Any advice would help a lot.

Hi

How do you know its the gearbox thats the problem?. Providing that its not grinding( syncro rings worn) going into 5th then it could be a gearlinkage issue. The easiest way to test would be to disconnect the linkage from the gearbox and try to select 5th directly at the box. If 5th can be selected ok at gearbox, then check linkage for rubbing/distortion/bushings( you will need to reconnect it). 5th gear problems in gearboxes can normally be sorted out without removing gearbox. This is due to the design of most gearboxes (though i dont know the design of the focus gearbox).

Best bet if you cannot do above check, is to bring it to a garage/mechanic and ask to have it looked at.

As to whether to fix it or not , will depend on the cost. If at all possible have it fixed prior to selling.

we charge 150 euro to remove and fit those gearboxes,we can also repair your gearbox,in place if its only a 5th gear problem

hi ford jeti
went to a ford dealer and was told the gearbox would have to be replaced. when i asked for a cost he said total labour and second hand gearbox would cost at least 500 euro depending on the cost of the gearbox. he didn't say anything about being able to fix the current one.
still a grinding noise when going into 5th but other than that everything seems ok

Did you get the oil level in the gearbox checked? Lubrication for 5th gear is marginal at the best of times and quickly becomes critical if the level drops through a seemingly small leak.