GDRs

quriousme

anyone know where i can get some info on this ,
am looking at buying some shares from overseas bank but think i can only do this with smeone holding the certs (GDRs) (global depositary receipts )
can i just buy as normal or is this a trickey procedure.
will i have to open an account and pay maintanance .
any helpful info would be great .

Hi

There are plenty of brokers out there that will charge maintanance charges and other associated charges, particularly the traditional brokers, but there are also other online discount brokers with no set up fees or on going maintanance charges. The only time it costs you is when you buy and sell. My suggestion would be to set up an account with one of these brokers or the equivalent. I have been trading with NIB & www.odlsecurities.com for a while now, I find both very good and all round cost effective. As I said in another thread ODL are holding a free workshop in the Stillorgan Park Hotel on the 11th Feb at 6.30 to promote their service.Opening an account with the costs low and no on going charges, would probably be the way forward.

good reply thanks , shame i cant make that date in stillorgan ,good to know that goes on though ,must keep my eye open for that ,would the fact that i dont know much about a lot of investing matter or is for people like me , thanks

Thank you. If you are only starting to invest in the stock market and you have an interest, you should get yourself a good understanding before you buy shares. There are plenty of places out there to learn, like Investment Blogs,Stock Market Courses and good Investment Books. The one thing to remember is not to rely on advice from brokers, they are only glorified sellers. Very few Stock Brokers are accountable for their recommendations and they have no interest in the small investor. So what I would recommend, if you have an interest in Investing in the Markets. 1.Get a understanding (Educate Yourself). 2. Open up with an Online Discount Broker (Execution only-No advice). I would start by learning about ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) they are a low cost method of diversification. One Step at a time.