GDPR for Residents' Association

SimplyWorried

I've recently started up a Residents Association for a housing Estate.
I take Data Protection very seriously and see other Residents Associations have GDPR policy's posted on their website.
However from research I have concluded GDPR Law does not apply to a Residents Associations.
GDPR is company law and an individual cannot be prosecuted under GDPR ( unless a sole trader ect) but essentially it's the company.
A residents association is purely a collection of individuals, with no legal standing as a company or organisation.

Can anyone confirm my understanding is correct?

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the Data Protection Act 2018 which would only apply to register companies so.
Thanks

You still have obligations and liabilities as a data processor. Remember the fuss a couple of years ago when the DPC advised motorists with dashcams that they should put up signage to indicate they are recording and carry a policy sheet that can be given to anyone who asks?

A quick Google will take you to good examples provided by club organisations like Mountaineering Ireland and Irish Sailing. Here's one for Marino Residents' Association - if you ask them nicely they might let you adapt it, suitably referenced? https://marino.ie/gdpr/

Back