Gay marriage - is it legal in Ireland

Bronte

If you get married abroad as a gay person where it is legal, is it valid in Ireland?

Interesting question.
I am not a lawyer but divorce under law in another country was acceptable prior to divorce being legalised here, so on that basis, yes.

No, that union is not recognised in Ireland, which is pretty much what Katherine Zappone and Ann Louise Gilligan are fighting for.

Not following that closely but if the law had changed since 2006, I would have heard.

I think the Civil Partnership Bill (?) is about recognition of same sex unions in Ireland. I haven't heard that bill mentioned in a while.

I think the Civil Partnership Bill (?) is about recognition of same sex unions in Ireland. I haven't heard that bill mentioned in a while.

The civil partnership bill however does not equate with marriage and grant the same rights as marriage - So a same-sex couple married in Canada where there is no differentiation (as per the KAL case) will only get the partial rights of the civil partnership bill. But a mixed sex marriage performed in Canada will grant full rights here.

And the civil partnership bill will grant no rights to any children being raised by same sex couples - whether or not one parent is the birth parent or not.

This is still up for discussion - but the civil partenrship bill will enshrine in our laws a level of discrimination.