Gas Vs. Electricity

FCC

At the moment I'm heating the has using gas - is this cheaper than the immersion (elec) - I don't need to heat all the radiators in the house...?

At the moment I'm heating the has using gas - is this cheaper than the immersion (elec) - I don't need to heat all the radiators in the house...?

the immersion does not heat the tank, it only makes hot water..

some info on cost effective ways of heating water:
[broken link removed]

Thanks -so even if i wanted to heat the radiators using immersion, it's not possible?

Just wondering if this thread was prompted by the rise in gas charges?

I recieved my (1st ever) gas bill last week and although I dont have the metre readings at work with me, we only use the gas for 2 and 1/2 hours a day and the bill was €170. I was gobsmacked....is that normal???

Thanks -so even if i wanted to heat the radiators using immersion, it's not possible?

No, the immersion element will only heat the water in the hot water tank. BTW, using electricity to heat water for central heating would be significantly more expensive than gas.

Depends. What size house? are you cooking as well as heating? etc.

Also check if it is an estimated bill . This will be on the bill.

3 bed house, large main living room, usually keep about 6/7 rads on at once

with gas, should i only turn on radiators in rooms I'm using, or on a cost/benefit basis am i better off heating entire house? Also, anyone know where you can buy lagging jackets for immersion heater?

Depends. What size house? are you cooking as well as heating? etc.

Also check if it is an estimated bill . This will be on the bill.

hi Highflier,

It is a 2 bed ex-corpo house in Crumlin. We actaully have one of the rads off most of the time in one bedroom as we are renovating. We only use gas for heating and i thought we were quite economical but obviously not! The bill is an estimate but i checked the metre and it was almost bang on the estimate. Is it worth querying the bill with someone?

It is a 2 bed ex-corpo house in Crumlin.

€170 sounds in the reasonable range. Our last one was €175 - 2-bed extended end terrace, heating on morning for about an hour and evening variable but sometimes up to four hours. Still beats storage heating hands down.

€170 sounds in the reasonable range. Our last one was €175 - 2-bed extended end terrace, heating on morning for about an hour and evening variable but sometimes up to four hours. Still beats storage heating hands down.

Yeah it does for beat the storage heating for convenience and aesthetic purposes. pricey but if thats the norm, well so be it!

thanks,

Hi there - would you concider converting to renewable energies.
While the grant is still available.

Not in this property as I dont think it would increase the value of the property nor is it worth the hassle for the time we hope to stay there. Hopefully in a new build though...

Hey newbie

we're living in the same sort of house as yourself - we're in a two-bed in Drimnagh.

Got our gas bill the other day and it's €165 so not far off your own. I have the heating set to come on 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and 4 hours in the evening. I was a bit surprised at the size of the bill but it's over 2 months and we do have the rads on quite a lot and we have gas cooking so fair's fair I suppose.

M

ps: agree re the storage heating - my sisters have it and it's useless and their house is always freezing!

Last edited:
Hi Newbie
Not in this property as I dont think it would increase the value of the property nor is it worth the hassle for the time we hope to stay there.

I do appreciate it is hassle - but when the new grading of properties comes on board it would be a very wise decision.

Converting in full to renewable energies from gas for a property like that doesn't make economic or environmental sense. If it were an old system which needed total replacement, or one of the houses which has never had central heating installed it might be worth it, but otherwise it's a waste. And those houses are far too small to run a woodchip CH system, primarily for storage reasons.

I do appreciate it is hassle - but when the new grading of properties comes on board it would be a very wise decision.
The grading has more to do with insulation and efficiency than on the form of energy used though, doesn't it?

Our new house has no central heating, and we'll be carrying out a complete renovation. I intend to work on a combination of high insulation, solar panels for water heating, and GFCH.